User Tag List

SitePoint Evangelist
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Community Script

Hi

I am looking to create a online community.

I would like something basic:
    • Forum
    • Member search
    • Specific member fields added (Ex: gender, age, ... hometown)
    • Blog Maybe

I would prefer to use something open source.
    I am wondering if any one has any ideas?

I have been thinking of joomla, but seems a but heavy
    or maybe Wordpress.

If anyone has any suggestions to what to use or what plugins
    to use for joomla / wordpress it would be appricaited.

Or maybe just another open source script that is made for this.

THanks,
    Chris

SitePoint Enthusiast EveryoneCollects's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Dolphin from boonex.com runs well and might be worth a look. I've got a couple of new sites running on two different versions and they have all the functions you're asking for.
    Dolphin 6 something is basically a dating script, but you can trim off all the stuff you don't want, and get rid of sex references etc etc, to turn it into a community of any sort.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i think every community script providing these services like even vBulletin too

SitePoint Evangelist
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by EveryoneCollects View Post
    Dolphin from boonex.com runs well and might be worth a look. I've got a couple of new sites running on two different versions and they have all the functions you're asking for.
    Dolphin 6 something is basically a dating script, but you can trim off all the stuff you don't want, and get rid of sex references etc etc, to turn it into a community of any sort.
    Thanks for your response.

I tried to install it on my VPS server a few weeks back and got stuck at one of the last installation steps. Where it asks where your PHP Binary file is located and stuff......

When you click next it didnt check if it was the right path and therefore I had to try to install it again.

Any ideas on finding the PHP Binary path to my server?

SitePoint Enthusiast EveryoneCollects's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Not sure on this one to be honest, Chris.
    However, I spent ages trying to set it up with a temporary domain name, and it can't be done apparently. I wasted ages trying, and it really hacked me off.
    As soon as I attempted an install with a domain name pointed at the installation, everything went fine and the script ran without a problem.
    To be honest, once you've changed the file permissions at the beginning of the install, and then added your details of database etc, everything else is pretty much automatic, especially the path settings.

A couple of other points. Try downloading and unzipping another install file from boonex. The unzip process seems to work faster and without error on a machine running XP rather than Vista - but don't ask me why... i've no idea.
    Also, avoid unzipping and opening your files directly into the public_html directory of your server. My provider recommended this, and it too lead to a troublesome install.

Good luck, and if you need a hand, let me know

Andy