SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Can I do this with css?

I have a certain look I want to accomplish using CSS or other methods that are better than the one currently working.

The sample site is here: http://jumi.lut.fi/~tapiolin/dransik/sample.html

If you know a way to make this work faster, easier, better, please tell me.

Also I have a problem when I want to create multiple tables next to eachother, but with a single pixel golden-border in between them (instead of 2pixel border i get now). Somekind of an overlapping between these tables should occur so I could make them look to be made out of one.

Can these things be accomplished?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    All that should work. Try going to http://www.glish.com or searching for "CSS layouts" you'll probably find something you can modify easily until you get the hang of what's going on.

Houston, Tejas; Future Capital of the World
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    By the way, nice looking setup there. Using the textured images for borders is a good idea and makes the page unique.
    I also love the wax seal and paper banner at the bottom.
    Brian Poirier
    SunStockPhoto: Stock Photos, Fine Art Photos, Event Photography

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks, the wax seal thing is my latest piece of art. I did a set of them for our guild.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Winged Spider

The problem is that I have no idea how to get the background image to borders with css to work. Also looking trough that site does not seem to help.

Can anyone give me a better solution than to search the net for help?

Houston, Tejas; Future Capital of the World
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm fairly new to CSS, rereading a howto book for the second time and practicing what I've learned,but here's my 2 cents:

I don't think you can use an image as a border in CSS. The border command for css is a solid color (or dash if you selct that type).

You are currently getting the textured border by nesting tables. You could do the same in CSS by nesting boxes on top of each other, with different relative values, much the same way you are using tables, but I think this would be more of a mess and would get really screwed up on some browsers.
    Brian Poirier
    SunStockPhoto: Stock Photos, Fine Art Photos, Event Photography

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am afraid of that too.

The problems with this current desisign are these:

The design is inteded to be used on a MB. So I'd like to include the border decorations as an addon for the browsers which support it. If I could do it with css, it would be sweet.

Also currently a thread is one big table, which means that it loads slowly compared to sitepoint forums. I'd like to make ever post its own table, thus making it possible to read as they load up. If I were to use the current design, I'd get double borders between ever post. And alot of tables

So while I am trying to find out a neat solution with css, I want also a way to make the design work on multiple tables next to each other.

So somekind of an overlapping should occur in optimal case. Or else I will just have to make the bottom border height 0. (and that would look odd when some of the tables are wider than the others due to images in them.)

So as you see it is not that easy..

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ok I managed to make the tables glue together with css. Now I'd just like to know if it is possible to do all this prettier.