SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

How much js skills do employers want?

I know, it depends. But how much does someone need to know to be able to tell an employer "I know javascript".

Here's what confuses me..

I know 2 programmers (one vb and one java) that work at different companies and they both said many many of their co-workers are glued to Google all day. So I wonder, if they constantly look up how to program certain tasks, then how were they hired as 'programmers'?

I just don't understand this aspect of the business.. Is searching Google often throughout the day just a part of the job and accepted? Is it that, during an interview employers would put me in front of a white board and quiz my skill level and, if it's enough for the position then searching Google is ok?

Please help me understand.

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I guess it's all about school.. I mean if you have college or more you have an advantage, because the employers (still) thinks that only schooled people got skills..

Just visit the microsoft's forums and you'll see there lots of people asking in different threads how to solve their current job task.. For some, it's just much simpler to just ask for help or search the web hoping they'll find an answer to their problems instead of actually working on solving them themselves (and yeah, they're the schooled ones [no offense, but it's the truth])...

btw, I'm trying to find an answer to this question myself...
    Proud member of this community.

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by tictike View Post
    I know, it depends. But how much does someone need to know to be able to tell an employer "I know javascript".

Here's what confuses me..

I know 2 programmers (one vb and one java) that work at different companies and they both said many many of their co-workers are glued to Google all day. So I wonder, if they constantly look up how to program certain tasks, then how were they hired as 'programmers'?

I just don't understand this aspect of the business.. Is searching Google often throughout the day just a part of the job and accepted? Is it that, during an interview employers would put me in front of a white board and quiz my skill level and, if it's enough for the position then searching Google is ok?

Please help me understand.
    Read the source of some js library. If you can follow most of whats going on than you probably know js.

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The more experience you get, the more languages you're going to have used. As time goes by even the most experienced programmers have to look things up now and then, Google just makes it extremely easy to do so in a timely maner.