SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi,

I have been asked this question and I find that I cannot anwer it properly.

Is MySQL a full blown relational database server? Can I tables using MySQL, add records, maintain etc...? I know this can be done using SQL, but is that the only way? Can I create/Modify just like i do a db in Access? What is the interface that can do this?
    Or is MySQL just a SQL server which takes data stored in various formats such as Access, Ms SQL server, Oracle etc. and processes them using SQL?

Please let me know.

TIA
    Jay

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yah, me too. Is there a gui for MySQL? I have a hard time wrapping my little mind around it unless I can SEE the silly thing, other than at the end of a command line.

RAGE
    SitePoint Community Guest
    yes, mySQL is a full fledged database server. You dont really have a GUI, well, you do, but not necessarily. If your host has mySQL support, you can telnet to the server and connect to mySQL and run queries.

You dont use programs like Ms Access has, you modify the database either with scripts or through telnet. With scripts you can backup, export,etc, you just need to know some scripting for that ..

heh, hope that helps

-----------------------
    Kryogen WebHosting - defying newton's laws of hosting !!

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanx...

So what do i do with the db that i have in Access, since my client wants the site to be done in PHP/MySQL? He feels that he should have his system running on Linux and i agree with him.

But since he has his data in MSAccess, i was think maybe i can use MySQL for the SQL alone and access the data in MsAccess. Can i do that? If not how do i convert the Access data to MySQL and back since the same db will be used for his MIS also?

Thanx in advance

Jay

Your Lord and Master, Foamy gold trophy Hierophant's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    In a short answer "Anything is possible".

If your using MySQL and there is an ODBC driver you can link to the tables in mySQL and manipulate them in Access.

In order to get the data in the mySQL database to begin with you can either export it as a delimited .txt file and import that into your newly built tables. You could also use Update Queries in Access to update the newly linked tables.

------------------
    Wayne Luke - Sitepoint Moderator/Internet Media Developer
    Digital Magician Studios - Making Magic with Web Applications
    wluke@digitalmagician.com

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanx for the reply,

So if i do have a ODBC driver then I can access my Access db through MySQL and make all the changes. This way, I can keep it part of the MIS as well as use the power of the MySQL server. Please confirm this and if you do have the necessary documentation for the ODBC driver can you forward it to me.

Thanx
    Jayanth
    jaxo@india.com
    <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote/font><HR>Originally posted by wluke:
    In a short answer "Anything is possible".

If your using MySQL and there is an ODBC driver you can link to the tables in mySQL and manipulate them in Access.

In order to get the data in the mySQL database to begin with you can either export it as a delimited .txt file and import that into your newly built tables. You could also use Update Queries in Access to update the newly linked tables.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

RAGE
    SitePoint Community Guest
    I would say drop the access altogether

1. make some asp scripts, or something and export the database to text delimited file .. or maybe access has its own text export
    2. make some php scripts to import them into mysql .. u know, run 10000 insert statements ..
    3. make scripts to add/remove/update the database which has your records

that way, you dont have to worry about uploading big databases every other day.. you can add/remove/update records, and you're fully mySQL powered...

and yes, I'd advise going for a linux server if PHP/mySQL is going to be used .. i personally run PHP4 on all my servers .. its way faster than PHP3 and more stable , even tho its still in the RC stages

------------------
    Kryogen WebHosting - when you want something MORE

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I said that was the short answer. There is still quite a bit of work ahead. Integrating the Linux machine into the network, setting up data connections, designing the front end, etc.

I would suggest you start at: http://web.mysql.com/doc.html

------------------

SitePoint Wizard
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    MySQL isn't like Microsoft Access where you build a database visually. There have been many GUIs for Linux though, check the MySQL download page under the link titled "Clients."

------------------
    Who the heck is Gen. Failure and why does he want to read my hard drive?
    Soon to come: Aspology.com

Serial Publisher silver trophy aspen's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It seems like an awful lot of work. I would just say "put it on an NT server" and make my job easier. And you can run PHP on NT though not all hosting companies do, it is possible.

I did this job with a genomic database of 10's of thousands of records, and it was really complex scientific stuff. But the database was already all done in access and so I used ASP and NT. No way would I have tried to convert that. So why make it harder for you just to be on unix? Plus if you keep it in access it'll be easier for you to maintain, or if you need to train your client to maintain it himself.

Chris

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanx for the input...

Now i am well and truly stuck...my client is set on putting it on php/mysql/apache/linux. But he wants his MIS to be on Access as his staff cannot be retrained.

That is the reason i want to go the ODBC route. What are the inputs on MyODBC? Can i ise it to connect to Acess db from MySQL? Where of i get details about how to do it?

Thanx in advance

Jayanth

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If there is only one or a few tables slap them into tab delimited text files and import them into mySQL. I would suggest a web-based interface for MIS. It is not a new interface because everyone has seen web forms before.

If it is a lot of interconnected and related tables then I think you are going to have to bring in outside help on this project. Unfortunately if you don't know how to do ODBC connections this may be over your head. Not trying to discourage you and I don't know the time frame but usually by the time the project gets from Boss to employee its critical. Before a recommendation can be put out on how to start building your database and interface layers more information is needed. Are you using a network? Network Server OS? Protocols? How is the current Access Database layed out? Are the tables linked in and shared among many GUI's or is there just one database altogether? What else is the information used for? Why can't MIS access the database through a customized HTML agent on an intranet?
    The answers to those questions can tell you if PHP/MySQL/Linux/Apache is really the best solution or if you should look in another direction. There is no one size fits all solution in the computer industry.

Now that you have your backbone figured out, you can start work on designing and implementing the backend. How many tables? Can the tables be made more efficient? What redundant information can be tossed? How should they be defined? How are relationships defined? What custom code is involved in the database? What queries, views, reports have to be run? What software are you going to use for the reports? What is used now?

Once all that is done you can start worrying about interfaces.

I am currently working within a project doing something similar but on a very large scale. The company I am working for is taking numerous SQL databases in SQL Server and Sybase and converting them to Oracle. The Sybase databases are for sales and there are over 60,000 new leads input daily. The SQL-Server is for patrol and security monitoring. It contains almost a complete copy of the Sybase database plus gets its own records every time and officer does something or even drives their car (GPS information is updated every 15 seconds). A few tables have more than 1 million records in them. All this has to be converted and transferred to the new system. Even with a full-time IT department the company decided it would be cheaper to spend several million dollars and have someone come in and do the conversion for us. All we have to do is totally rewrite all the software to work with it. Now I can gather your project isn't as encompassing as this but you can get a glimpse of all the work that can be required.

------------------

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wayne,

While I do exactly the same, when talking with clients or explaining possibilities to someone else, I believe that "everything is possible" approach is quite missleading in such situation. It's better to say "that's impossible and we can do this another way" then trying to explain that this "possible" solution is not the best and so on. However I understand that only after the conversation or when I read your long posts I believe this situation would be resolved faster and easier if the guy didn't know that it's theoretically possible

------------------
    Alan Mendelevich aka ailon
    ArticleCentral.com - The content directory for web professionals.
    MEGOPhotos - Quality photos for FREE. UPDATED

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That might be but since there not specific details I feel it is better to start with a broad overview and work your way down eliminating solutions as you go. If it were a consultation with a client, it is best that you go in with an "anything is possible" attitude. If your the one asking questions you can forego giving a suggested solution until after the interview where you can get the specifics.

In an actual dialog the above would have taken 15-30 minutes and you would be discussing the very specific details so you could design a solution everyone can agree on.

Only if you start at the widest possible point and narrow it down from there can you provide a solution within your limitations that makes everyone happy. If the client wants something that is outside your limitations you have two choices, suggest they use someone else (give a reference if possible) or subcontract that part of the work out.

------------------

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    But imho the ideal situation is when you can make more money for yourself while saving money for the client, and this is quite rare situation when trying to implement "everything is possible" approach.

------------------
    Alan Mendelevich aka ailon
    ArticleCentral.com - The content directory for web professionals.
    MEGOPhotos - Quality photos for FREE. UPDATED

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I walk into the clients office with that attitude. I don't ever implement that approach. You start at the broadest (Everything is Possible) and work your way down to the best possible solution. That is why you have consultations, meetings, white boards and a lot of techniques available to get to the best solution.

You don't have to tell the client "Everything is possible", In fact you shouldn't. Talking with other development professionals (which I consider everyone in this forum to be in one form or another) is a different matter all together. You do have to start a project with that attitude or you'll limit yourself into the same type of projects repeatedly.

------------------

[This message has been edited by wluke (edited May 22, 2000).]

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Duplicate POST... Deleted

[This message has been edited by wluke (edited May 22, 2000).]