SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

iPhone UI and Copyright

I am about to design a website that will be based with the same interface of the iPhone. Can I get sued by apple for doing something like this? I mean, I am going to design everything very similar to the iPhone dock and icons...should I put design of Apple or something in footer?

. shoooo... silver trophy logic_earth's Avatar
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes Apple will go after you for "cloning" there look. And putting "designed by or inspired by Apple" in the footer won't protect you.
    Logic without the fatal effects.
    All code snippets are licensed under WTFPL.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think you will be fine if you dont use their actual icons and just imitate the style.
    Apple encourages application developers to follow some standard interface guidelines in order to provide a consistent user experience.

Adding credit to Apple would probably hurt your case if anything however so Id leave that off.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dreamerr View Post
    I think you will be fine if you dont use their actual icons and just imitate the style.
    Apple encourages application developers to follow some standard interface guidelines in order to provide a consistent user experience.

Adding credit to Apple would probably hurt your case if anything however so Id leave that off.
    Ditto
    Smoke Lounge | Hookah Store and Community
    Shisha Tobacco
    SitePoint Users get 5% off use promo code s1t35p

SitePoint Wizard silver trophy
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you're using a similar idea you wouldn't be the first... people use ideas, general colors, emotional design treatments and everything else all over the place... but if you're planning to copy a UI or copy anything in a way that is clearly a copy, that should speak for its self. Apple goes to great lengths to build something unique so it's not hard to identify knockoffs. Will changing the icons save you from trouble? Possibly, possibly not. The simple reality is that if you copy something closely you run a risk -- a risk which you can only measure by speaking with an attorney. No one here is qualified to tell you if what you're doing would be a violation of IP, heck, without seeing the design no one on earth could tell you for certain but if you're going to trek down that "very similar too" route, seek advice or be aware that you're steeping into murky, possibly dangerous waters.

My thought is to always stay away from having something that clearly or somewhat clearly knocks someone else. It's bad for business and it's opening a big bad door.
    - Ted S