SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Can Someone help, adrbite causes me not to validate...

I understand its not 100% necessary for me to validate but it would be nice.

I run into an issue with adbrite, their script wont allow my page to validate, know how to fix this?
    Smoke Lounge | Hookah Store and Community
    Shisha Tobacco
    SitePoint Users get 5% off use promo code s1t35p

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I wouldn't worry about it. There are tonnes of online services which don't validate...
    James Padolsey
    末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末
    Awesome JavaScript Zoomer (demo here)
    'Ajaxy' - Ajax integration solution (demo here)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I know, I just want it to validate lol. I know my site actually validates but the adbrite script doesn't.... stupid! I am going to send them a letter!

I am going to build a mobile version of my site in the next few days and I want to make sure it all works right.
    Shisha Tobacco

SitePoint Wizard bronze trophy Tailslide's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What exactly is it failing on? Sometimes it's possible to fix these things, sometimes it's not.
    Little Blue Plane Web Design
    Blood, Sweat & Rust - A Land Rover restoration project

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Code:
    #  Error  Line 234, Column 205: value of attribute "name" must be a single token.

="Add to: Windows Live" name="Windows Live" border="0" id="WindowsLive"/></a>

✉

This attribute can not take a space-separated list of words as a value, but only one word ("token"). This may also be caused by the use of a space for the value of an attribute which does not permit it.
    # Warning Line 686, Column 116: cannot generate system identifier for general entity "zs".

ite.com/mb/text_group.php?sid=676524&zs=3732385f3930" type="text/javascript">

✉

An entity reference was found in the document, but there is no reference by that name defined. Often this is caused by misspelling the reference name, unencoded ampersands, or by leaving off the trailing semicolon (;). The most common cause of this error is unencoded ampersands in URLs as described by the WDG in "Ampersands in URLs".

Entity references start with an ampersand (&) and end with a semicolon (;). If you want to use a literal ampersand in your document you must encode it as "&amp;" (even inside URLs!). Be careful to end entity references with a semicolon or your entity reference may get interpreted in connection with the following text. Also keep in mind that named entity references are case-sensitive; &Aelig; and &aelig; are different characters.

If this error appears in some markup generated by PHP's session handling code, this article has explanations and solutions to your problem.

Note that in most documents, errors related to entity references will trigger up to 5 separate messages from the Validator. Usually these will all disappear when the original problem is fixed.
    # Error Line 686, Column 116: general entity "zs" not defined and no default entity.

ite.com/mb/text_group.php?sid=676524&zs=3732385f3930" type="text/javascript">

✉

This is usually a cascading error caused by a an undefined entity reference or use of an unencoded ampersand (&) in an URL or body text. See the previous message for further details.
    # Warning Line 686, Column 118: reference not terminated by REFC delimiter.

e.com/mb/text_group.php?sid=676524&zs=3732385f3930" type="text/javascript"></

✉

If you meant to include an entity that starts with "&", then you should terminate it with ";". Another reason for this error message is that you inadvertently created an entity by failing to escape an "&" character just before this text.
    # Warning Line 686, Column 118: reference to external entity in attribute value.

✉

This is generally the sign of an ampersand that was not properly escaped for inclusion in an attribute, in a href for example. You will need to escape all instances of '&' into '&amp;'.
    # Error Line 686, Column 118: reference to entity "zs" for which no system identifier could be generated.

✉

This is usually a cascading error caused by a an undefined entity reference or use of an unencoded ampersand (&) in an URL or body text. See the previous message for further details.
    # Info Line 686, Column 115: entity was defined here.

rite.com/mb/text_group.php?sid=676524&zs=3732385f3930" type="text/javascript"

# Error Line 688, Column 20: end tag for "br" omitted, but OMITTAG NO was specified.

<br>

✉

You may have neglected to close an element, or perhaps you meant to "self-close" an element, that is, ending it with "/>" instead of ">".
    # Info Line 688, Column 16: start tag was here.

<br>

# Error Line 686, Column > 80: XML Parsing Error: EntityRef: expecting ';'.

owrap;"><script src="http://ads.adbrite.com/mb/text_group.php?sid=676524&zs=3

✉
    # Error Line 691, Column 9: XML Parsing Error: Opening and ending tag mismatch: br line 688 and div.

</div>

✉
    # Error Line 706, Column 7: XML Parsing Error: Opening and ending tag mismatch: div line 68 and body.

</body>

✉
    # Error Line 707, Column 7: XML Parsing Error: Opening and ending tag mismatch: body line 51 and html.

</html>

✉
    # Error Line 707, Column 7: XML Parsing Error: Premature end of data in tag html line 2.

</html>
    The last few seem to not be related to adbrite, but the others are... The site is http://www.ijockz.com
    Shisha Tobacco

SitePoint Wizard bronze trophy Tailslide's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ok well some of that's do-able.

Add in the closing / to the break tag after the adbrite closing comment.
    Change the "&" to "& a m p ;" (minus the spaces) in the script tag

The other error is the space in the name attribute "Windows Live". You might want to try "WindowsLive" like the ID which would be valid but I don't know if that will break the script or not.
    Little Blue Plane Web Design
    Blood, Sweat & Rust - A Land Rover restoration project

In memoriam gold trophysilver trophybronze trophy Dan Schulz's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just make sure you check their Terms of Service beforehand to see if they'll even let you modify the script.

Better safe than sorry, you know.