SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    if you want to build a readymade blog site I should prefer wordpress. If you want more customizable I should prefer modx because it's a very good constructor and you can build it from a scratch using built in tools.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have looked at and used WordPress, Joomla, ModX, and many others.

I've settled on CMSmadesimple and WordPress for most of my projects. WordPress is just plain wonky in the way it deals with pages. It's a blog machine at heart, but it is possible to build a respectable website with it.

Most of the time I use CMSmadesimple. It's a breeze to learn and the backend is quite intuitive. It could use more well-designed modules and ready-made templates, but building templates is much easier than for Joomla or WordPress.

I'd give CMSmadesimple a serious look. It's actively developed and has a friendly supportive forum. http://www.cmsmadesimple.org

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That's very interesting. I have not heard of CMSmadesimple and noone else seems to have mentioned it. Does anyone else know it and can you comment on how it compares to Joomla, Drupal and MODx?
    Ross Bartholomew
    Web Designer/Developer
    BartWebSites
    E-mail: ross@bartwebsites.com

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    CMSMS was third overall after Drupel and Joomla! in last years Open Source CMS Awards:
    http://www.packtpub.com/open-source-...evious-winners

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ross, it's easy enough to install, just give it a whirl. Or you can visit an online demo and check it out there. One place is here... http://www.opensourcecms.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=452

It's "off the radar screen" for most people but I suspect it will start attracting more users, especially since version 2.0 is rapidly being developed.

It is not as full featured as Joomla, nor does it want to be. It might not fit the bill for everyone, but for many people who just need to get a cms up easily and quickly with enough power to meet their needs, it works well.

As for comparing it to ModX, when I was using ModX over a year and a half ago, it seemed to be stalled in its development cycle. It still seems to be only at version 0.9.6.1. CMSMS on the other hand has had numerous and steady upgrades...on its way to 2.0 by the end of summer I suspect.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    For anyone who has ever thought of using a CMS as a backbone for an e-commerce site, I highly recommend the Joomla + Virtuemart combination. It has come a long way in terms of functionality and stability and I like the fact that modules are plentiful for the Joomla CMS.

In the past, I've used several shopping cart systems, but none seem to come close to the flexibility a CMS-backbone provides in giving web developers a scalable environment to add features later on (like blogs, galleries, forums, and even basic social networking functionality).

Of course I'm somewhat biased in favor of Joomla only because it's the CMS I've used the most.. but it terms of building e-commerce sites, does anyone have any other recommendations? For instance, I've heard Drupal's Ubercart is evolving quite nicely (but it's still a bit buggy.. and Drupal, by its very nature, is difficult to customize).
    Jippidy a! (Alex) - Creative Director, Web Development

Jippidy.com - Video Yellow Pages
    4FocusGraphics - Full Color Printing

SitePoint Zealot OrangeCreative's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Another thing that's getting more and more important to me is the ability of branding the back-end. Your users will log into this section of the site so they might expect to meet the same style as on the front-end.

One of the things I like about Joomla! is the ability to edit the content in-line, directly on the front-end. The user logs in to the site (not the admin panel!), edits the pages with the built-in WYSIWYG editor, saves the changes and logs out. Simple like that! The only thing to keep in mind is making the template so it can fit the 400px wide edit box and the additional icons.