SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Thread: Documentation

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Documentation

As i am building sites, i find that i tend to forget reasonings for things that i put together months ago.

not just that but also structure of the web application. I utilize notepad alot, but i haven't figured out a real good way to keep my brain organized.

are there any tips tricks or techniques that you all use to keep things accessible? meaning if i have a question about something that i did 3 months ago, than i have an easy set up to see what my thought process was.

Along with this, i do not really have time to sit down every day and document everything that i have done. That would blow hours of a day that is already pretty stretched out.

Does VS2008 come with some sort of a visual representation or tree structure that would help me in documentation?

really i am open for anything at this point.

Ras

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you forget the things you coded 3 months ago, you should make a tecnical specification, probably with some diagrams that describes the general architecture, for some tricky moment in your code use comments.

The main thing is to make it simply for you, you don't have to descrive the every moment of your project, but you should describe the things you tend to forget about.

As for Visual Studio it has a visual class designer with reverse engineering and Visio support.

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Whats so hard about it? You must have a lot of logic going on in your app? Well comment every line of it. Whats so hard about that? And of course you put comments at the top of you methods...
    Web Application Development & Maintenance

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah I try to comment as much as possible.

I guess i just haven't found a good way to accurately and efficiently express my thoughts without being to bloated or the oposite which is they completely lack any specific content. plus alot of what info i need is more how each particular element relates to the company as well.

My thought were that it would be nice if i could figure out how to get somesort of graphical representation of my web applications. Structure trees or something like that.

I guess I am just not that organized, and not sure wht steps i can take to get organized.

thanks for the replies

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    its probably that you just dont have set guidelines to the way you program. me i always do thing the exact same way. same data access layers and all that so i never need to comment taht stuff.......i always have Get, Sets, Deletes on my services...and anything else i need ill add.

all i do really....is display and modify data. sometime you have some workflow(and thats waht really needs to be commetned)......but other than taht....whats there to it?
    Web Application Development & Maintenance