User Tag List

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Database on a USB stick

Hullo there

I've got the job of putting some pdf documents on a USB stick for promotional purposes.

The easiest solution would be to have a static web page with links to the pdfs.

I have been looking at other solutions, maybe a WAMP but I think this would probably be overkill and fraught with problems such as security issues.

I wonder if through lack of knowledge in this area I might be missing something else?

Best wishes

W

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm not understanding why you need to create websites/databases to display PDFs?
    Nick . all that we see or seem, is but a dream within a dream
    Show someone you care, send them a virtual flower.
    Good deals on men's watches

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's for a promotional usb stick to give our customers - so basically you get on off-line database through which you can access the pdfs.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So it's going to be like a whole database driven mini site?

There's no reason why you can't install apache/php/mysql on a thumb drive I believe, all it is is a mini hard drive. You just need to make sure that it is big enough.
    Nick . all that we see or seem, is but a dream within a dream
    Show someone you care, send them a virtual flower.
    Good deals on men's watches

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Since it's going to be a static web page, why even bother with installing a WAMP or doing it through a database? Maybe I'm not getting you but what's wrong with a single HTML page?
    Imagination is more important than knowledge. - Einstein

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    How many PDF files are we talking? To even consider a database I hope you have a considerable amount of files.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You can make a script to generate static HTML pages from your database on your computer. Then you don't have to make them manually and don't need an webserver + database installation to view them.

If you still decide to use dynamic web pages, consider using SQLite as the database backend. It is a library, which comes with PHP 5 by default. You'll still need a web server installation, though.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    hi

thanks for all your replies.

we're talking about 100 pdfs.

yep, i can just do a single html page - i already have such a thing+have php script pulling the records out of a database. so i can just save that+the docs on a stick. I could use httrack to produce some pages quickly from dynamic pages i have - that would give me options of presenting different views i.e. to z and subject.

i suppose i was thinking about giving users the option to search those pdfs. hey, if they like the stuff they can come online and do it!

thanks again

W

SitePoint Wizard silver trophy
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    SQLite is a file-based database engine, so it would not need to be "installed" but you would still have to have something like apache/php to run it.

You might be better off to just create a script that generates all the static HTML pages because they wouldn't need anything installed to open a static page. You could even create an autorun (for Windows machines) that would automatically open the index page in their browser when the drive was inserted.

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Being that the end result is going to be static, I would simply write a simple program that will get everything in place, and then just save the Html that results from it without using a database driven USB... (seems like major overkill and an extra pain)

On a side note, I would love to get a promotional USB that is so cool... although I'ld be more likely to empty the contents and use it for my own personal use... which sounds immoral