SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Evangelist
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Indian Servers ?

I am planning to start a small data center here in India.So will it be a success ?
    What you think of it ?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    IN India, It could be helpful...Cheap prices

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by priyakochin View Post
    I am planning to start a small data center here in India.So will it be a success ?
    What you think of it ?
    Completely depend on popularity.
    USA UK Seo Services
    Manual Directory Submission Services
    Complete Seo Link Building And Submission Service Provider

SitePoint Evangelist
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I mean, will I get clients from other countries ?
    and I think if I can find some good clients here, is it better ?

SitePoint Wizard silver trophy
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Will you get clients? That depends on what you offer and how good a job you do of marketing.

Running a data center in India could certainly be a viable business for attracting both local and foreign customers but there's a few things to consider. First and foremost is your internet connection -- if a company is going to use a foreign provider they have to be certain that provider is up and available to their key users. If those users are in the United States, Belgium, China or anywhere else other than the server, connections to that server must be great. I'm not familiar with the connection lines to India but you should be... Are they over land? Underwater? Redundant? Prone to failure? Have they been down recently? Etc...

Assuming the connection is good you're now in the business of competing with every other well connected data center so what sets you apart? If you plan to just offer space, power and access then are you cheap enough to get the clients? More likely than not foreign companies would use you on the basis of price but if they're far away, getting to their machines is impossible so you have to offer world class support too. This means having a fairly large team in place to manage equipment, perform upgrades, diagnose every OS under the sun and so forth. Many companies offer only dedicated servers as it minimizes the amount their team has to know but there's still a lot of requirements from fixing bad hardware to performing hardboots at 4am. Depending on your niche you may have customers with constant support needs or if you target more industrial applications, far less persistent.

You'll also have to consider communication issues. With a team in india serving indian companies would be easy but how do you handle someone from the USA speaking English and someone else speaking Japanese, Korean, French? Again, you may want to focus and limit yourself to a few regions where you can get fluent techs in... where is a matter of opportunity research and available personal.

Regardless of the offering, it has to match and likely beat what someone can get locally. Price is obviously important but all it takes is a few businesses going down with no support and your name is as good as dirt. Assuming you have the willingness to invest in the right facility, connection, backup systems and personal the problem comes down to marketing and getting your name out there. Luckily if you've got everything else going well you should be able to make a clean entry... there will likely be a fairly high initial cost to bring on early customers but over time as you expand the name and prove yourself, this cost can become reasonable and you'll start earning back your investment.

There’s a lot to think about from operations to communication which you have to address long before marketing. Just understand few people go into the data center business expecting to make positive cash in the short term, it's really a long term gig based on recurring revenue from large numbers of happy customers.
    - Ted S

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by priyakochin View Post
    I mean, will I get clients from other countries ?
    and I think if I can find some good clients here, is it better ?
    If you get some good client then its not only better it would be best
    USA UK Seo Services
    Manual Directory Submission Services
    Complete Seo Link Building And Submission Service Provider