Hybrid View

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ajax security concerns

Hello all,

I've been building a widget for a site of mine that is ajax powered. Everytime a user clicks, the requested data is returned. Very simple.

My question is if someone were to clone my ajax request to the server.. they could easily just retrieve that data my script returns and use it in one of their own scripts, correct?

If so, then how can i prevent this type of thing from happening? because even if i send and retrieve tokens with every request. That other persons script could just be coded to handle that as well.

I'm baffled.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Regular web pages are currently limited by the browser security model to only get data from the same hostname. for example, foo.com can only access stuff on foo.com and not bar.com.

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by AlexanderZ View Post
    Regular web pages are currently limited by the browser security model to only get data from the same hostname. for example, foo.com can only access stuff on foo.com and not bar.com.
    That is so hackers can't target browsers (people who browse). So unless I have understood incorrectly that is quite irrelevant here.

My question is if someone were to clone my ajax request to the server.. they could easily just retrieve that data my script returns and use it in one of their own scripts, correct?
    Yes.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    well, that's reassuring!

any other obvious precautions someone should take when developing?

thanks for the help

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If the script is running on that person's computer, there is no way to prevent it from accessing the data in the request. If you want to prevent other people from accessing data meant only for a certain user, you should use some form of authentication, such as a session and IP check.

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by AlexanderZ View Post
    If the script is running on that person's computer, there is no way to prevent it from accessing the data in the request. If you want to prevent other people from accessing data meant only for a certain user, you should use some form of authentication, such as a session and IP check.
    Yep.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raffles View Post
    True, but as I stated above, this doesn't really affect the OP's concerns.