SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Guru
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Design and css help

I'm not sure if I'm a complete newbie, but I am definitely a beginner. Please take a look at the site I am designing: http://www.goodyoga.net/index_mica1.html. I am not sure what kind of design to use for the second (all other) pages. This is what I came up with: http://www.goodyoga.net/template.html. Do you have any suggestions? Please, I will not be offended at all for any feedback. I know it needs some work.

Thanks in advance for your help!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Looks like a good structured website. You've got a few minor errors in the html, like using ul.1 as a tag or p1. And on your second page, the main content isn't aligned to the centre like your navigation (it uses float:left) - I'm using a screen size of 1680px and it's recognisable there.

With regards to the actual layout of the subsequent pages, I wouldn't spread the content over the whole area, more like 2/3 or 3/4. and add a sidebar to the right. Basically like your front page but with only the very right column. Use it to promote events, something from the shop, or related links to other pages.
    Dan G
    Marketing Strategist & Consultant

SitePoint Guru
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Not sure what is wrong with ul.1 and p1??

What do I do to change the main content to the center?

How do I do the content over 2/3 of the area?

Here's the updated 2nd page: http://www.goodyoga.net/template.html with right column. Still needs some work. I know it's ugly, but that's what client wanted! Woops. Just uploaded it to server. That is way off. How do I fix the column to go be even with body column??

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ul.1 and p1 don't exist, that's what's wrong with them.

p is a paragraph, h1 refers to a heading of the top level (h2,h3,...h6 exist as well). ul.1 looks as though you confuse markup for classes in html and css. a class also shouldn't start with a number if I remember correctly.

With the rest you'll have to wait, I'm about to go to bed and will go off for a few days. Just reply to this topic, and I'm sure to revisit it again when I'm back.
    Dan G
    Marketing Strategist & Consultant

SitePoint Guru
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Can someone else take a look?

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The first thing I see is that on your second screen you need to modify your widths. You have a content ID that is 920 pixels wide. Then inside I think you are trying to place two divs side by side - the sidebar Id and karen ID. The karen id is defined to be 965px wide which by itself is a problem tyring to put it in a 920px container. Then when you add the 220px sidebar the browser can do nothing else than dropping one div below the other. Reduce the size of your karen ID to make them fit as you want.

Also, in the html you are missing a </div> for the content ID so your footer looks different than the index page.

Off topic a bit, but is mica related to joni mitchell? Looks a lot like her when joni was young.
    Joe

SitePoint Guru
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Funny. I'll tell her you said that but no. Don't think she's related

Fixed the width tag and that worked.

I am not sure where the missing </div> tag goes. I added one and it made everything squirrelly. Can you show me where to add? Just paste that section of code here? What do you mean by different footer? Do you mean on index, the pink bar doesn't have margins but on template it does? Which one do you like better?

Thanks!
    Last edited by Sculley; Jun 4, 2008 at 07:35.

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sculley View Post
    I am not sure where the missing </div> tag goes. I added one and it made everything squirrelly. Can you show me where to add? Just paste that section of code here?
    After looking at the code again, I was mistaken. It appears that all the divs are closed. Sorry about that. The footer as is looks fine.
    Joe

SitePoint Enthusiast trishacupra's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's very, very bright. I personally would tone it down a bit - just make the colors a bit darker to make it look more sophisticated (but still fun) and less like a site targeted at kids.
    Trisha Cupra, Web Design Watchdog
    Protecting website owners from the most painful online mistakes