User Tag List

Thread: Search engine?

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hello,

I have this site written in php. Users can submit their site to a directory. All the listings in directory are in a mySQL database. I would need a search engine that can search the entries.

Do you know where I could find one? or could you briefly describe how a search engine works.

How can they order the searches by revelency. Let's say someone searches "free webmaster resources". I can divide the search into "free", "webmaster", and "resources", then search the database for entries, but then how do I order them? How can I have the entriy with "Free webmaster resources" come before the entry with "free resources"? Is there a page on the internet where I could read up on this?

Thanks,
    Carl Lerche

------------------
    Lerca Link Exchange
    Promote your site using reciprocal links!
    http://www.lerca.com
    Click now and win 25,000 banner impressions

SitePoint Wizard silver trophy Karl's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Try PHP Builder, they have an article on their site about building a search engine. The article for your interest is here.

It is not exactly what you are looking for but the methods mentioned can be implemented for what you need.

If you require an out of the box solution then please contact me by email of icq and we can discuss a solution for your needs.

------------------
    Karl Austin
    KDA Web Services