SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ruby on Rails vs .net

Hi Community! I am new to the forums and need you guys to help me out on a decision. I am a programmer who used C# and C++.net. My boss had a programmer who used Ruby on Rails and is no longer with us. He wants me to see what I can do with the web database that is unfinished. I will have a-lot of work on my hands on converting from .net to rails and I have never used Ruby before. Is there an easy approach for programmers of the .net world to convert to Ruby on rails to take on such a task? I set up my work MacBook with ruby, gems, and mysql. I used Xcode toolset to install everything. Using some tutorials I was able to easily test and verify mysql is running with the up-to-date versions of ruby plus gems installed. I have downloaded a trial version of textmate and will be able to buy it if needed. Is there a book or great resource I can use to start my journey in learning the tasks?

Where should I go from here? Should I stick with .net and convince him to go this method or should I tackle this with Ruby on Rails?

All comments and advise is very much welcome and thanks in advance!!!

Avid Logophile silver trophy
    Mentioned
    192 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    It is always good to stretch yourself and learn new things. Another skill makes you more marketable.
    Many in the Ruby (and Rails) community come from a background in Java. There are a few very good books targeting Java programmers.
    C# is similar to Java in many ways. With your experience in C++ it may not be much of a stretch for you.

I have a foundation in multiple languages and learned C# at about the same time as Ruby (with Rails). There are differences in the syntax. But that is what makes it challenging and what endears me to Ruby.

So, there are my thoughts on the subject. I sincerely hope it helps you in making a wise decision.
    Don't be yourself. Be someone a little nicer. -Mignon McLaughlin, journalist and author (1913-1983)

Git is for EVERYONE
    Literally, the best app for readers.
    Make Your P@ssw0rd Secure
    Leveraging SubDomains

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You'll be better off if you learn Rails, not because it's superior to .net (I think it is, but that's only an opinion, and shouldn't be confused with a fact) but because it'll stretch the learning muscles in you. Everything you learn makes the next thing easier to learn, and learning is the foundation point of "Adapt or die."

Best intro to Ruby I've seen is the Poignant guide. Yes, it's cutesy; but it's effective.

http://poignantguide.net/ruby/

Knowing other OO languages means Ruby won't be too big of a stretch for you.

For rails, either the SP book just released or the Pragmatic programmers book is probably the best intro to it. Then hit the rails web site: http://www.rubyonrails.org/ because the framework is changing rapidly and most books are already out of date.

Now for the big question: What's best for your boss? I'd say it depends on how far into the app the first programmer was. If the app is still in its early stages, it's probably faster for you to start over than adapt to Rails. If the app development is well along, it's probably better to keep it in Rails.

Finally, you might want to read: http://www.softiesonrails.com/ (a blog from a couple of ex .net programmers that have switched to rails).

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the great replies and you did answer my questions with honest opinions. I will take on the challenge of Ruby on Rails. It does look fun and thanks for the links as well.