SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

English Travel website

Hi all, I just launched a site about traveling. I will appreciate your comments. Before clicking on the link here is the situation:

1. My goal is to show medium and big beautiful pictures making it attractive to the eye
    2. I try to get some balance on text vs pictures. (the articles with only one picture shows only one but big and beautiful)
    3. The whole country is divided in 22 departments, I have plenty information and original content about the 22 of them, but by now I published only one article per department while the site gets indexed. Then I will release one article per week or more.
    4. I tried to come up with clean html-css and fast loading pages
    5. By now is a two column layout but I plan to include a third column on the right with the latest articles published articles when the site gets big.

Ok, I'll appreciate your opinions here is the link:

Guatemala Travel Guides
    Guatemala Travel Guides
    The future was written in the past. Read, learn, travel
    Ciudades Mayas

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    First thing I noticed when I visited your site was the background. I recommend changing your background to something more ... bright?
    Lot's of great content, which is the key.
    Should probably include a "About" page and "Contact" page as someone stumbling across your site would have no clue what it's about.

SitePoint Evangelist happybrian's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    One article per week hey?
    Well, if you are going to have regular articles coming out of your site, I would recomend increasing the visibility of the RSS feed. Right now I can't easily see it.
    What I do know, is that many people llike my self, If I find an site that produces regular article updates, I subscribe to the RSS feed in order to more easily read the ones that interest me.

I like the site - help people to read your work!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Couple things I noticed:

1. At the bottom of the page are a few mis-spellings:

'writen' should be 'written' &
    '2,008' should probably be '2008'

2. When you select a particular category, that category does not change in the main navigation (in FF). It would be better if the current category had a different color so that it was easily distinguishable.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Some good work still needs to be done on your home page. Like the Metagaster said. You will need to add things like he stated. I will also say..Add the maps, and couple of video's there relvent to your industry. This might help you a little...

Correct your spellings..and place your keywords in the top and bottom of the page

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I like the site.
    With all those pictures and areas, I expected to see you use thumbnails for navigation or assist in navigation.
    Also as suggested before, a map would be nice, with hotspots for navigation assist (ie click on the red dot or ...)
    hope this helps
    falcon
    Many good Free Tutorials at:
    http://freetutorials.name

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Classy site IMO

I like the idea of covering one country in depth - I thought about doing a similar site for Morocco. Saw no ads - is this intentional or do you plan to add them later?

Nice pictures, although I think you can always have more.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The site is dull IMO,

The colors don't really add anything and the front page is entirely too long. The footer has 2,008 as the date (not sure why it is in that format). There has to be some way to make this site look nicer, Guatemala is a very pretty place.
    Smoke Lounge | Hookah Store and Community
    Shisha Tobacco
    SitePoint Users get 5% off use promo code s1t35p

SitePoint Wizard
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    drop down menu
    drop down menu
    drop down menu

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Matagascar:
    Thanks, the About & contact us page have been added.

happybrian:
    Thanks, the Rss feed has been added.

pinch:
    Thanks, the spellings have been corrected.

SEOCompany:
    The map has been added. Keywords? The meta keywords are at the very beginning, I don't understand your comment. You mean more keywords as text?

navyfalcon:

Thanks, the little pictures are clickable. The map has been added with hot spots.

DannyBly:
    I have a good experience with the spanish version of the site (http://www.xplorandoguatemala.com). The ads came with time. This site different concept born as the english version but instead of being the same, was created with a whole new perspective, simple and straight to the point. Thanks your kind comments.

cgustaveson:
    The colours represent each of the 4 cardinal points in terms of weather or landscape view (hot, cold, green and so).

I don't like drop downs, on my experience with other sites with heavy traffic, lots of spanish and english visitors don't see the links unless they are visible. (yes I know) I don't want to lose thos visitors. I tried on another site with CSS drop downs but I saw a click decrease and lots of mails asking for the links. Perhaps is the niche.

The website looks better now, your comments were very useful. Lots of corrections were made and the site looks better now (more usable). If you have time to check it back, please do so pointing your mouse at http://www.guatemalaguides.com

Thank you all for your time and advice.
    Last edited by elviajero; Jun 7, 2008 at 13:43. Reason: link added
    Guatemala Travel Guides
    The future was written in the past. Read, learn, travel
    Ciudades Mayas

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I personally don't prefer homepages that have the same content in both vertical AND horizontal menus. Also, although it's obvious that clicking the top left image will take you home, it could probably use a home link. Otherwise, I think you've done a nice job.

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would reduce the number of menus, especially in the header. Probably I would leave the North, West, East, South and Center. Also I would get rid of site descriptions on your home page and leave everything for the internal pages.