SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Post what to do what to read up on

Im lost i donot know and cannot seem to find what Iam looking for.
    All I need to know is how to design referrals website. Now this maybe what it is not call but will explain more on what Iam trying to do.

Well open the site and on the site it has a <input> box asking who referred you can this be prefilled with user name?
    If so how is it done?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    an input box can have a predefined value that can be overwritten by the user:

Code:
    <input value="your username">
    More info on the input element can be found in the Sitepoint HTML Reference: http://reference.sitepoint.com/html/input

If that's not what you're looking for, I would need more info to help you out.
    Dan G
    Marketing Strategist & Consultant

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    <input value="your username">
    Ok i get that that nice and easy. So if I understand this right then when the person goes to sign up on a page and see who is the referral person it will have the name of them already in the input box.
    So that is good and easy and here i was thinking it would be more I feel really I really need to read more on my html or good smack in the head to get the brain matter going either one should work .
    cheers

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's more complicated than this, because with that you will have the same username for everybody signing up. You need some server-side language to make it more dynamic. But without knowing more about your precise requirements and setup, it's difficult to give you more precise advice.

P.S. I was off a few days, that's the reason for the late reply.
    Dan G

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So you mean PHP or .NET.
    I never used ever so not sure how they work but i know more about php as in I know it is server-side Lan. But iam guess that .net is one too.
    Anyway we have members in a club and the refferal box is empty but i like it filled with they usernames. Everything is written in HTML.Strict with css styles.
    Outside of the above method The only thing I could think of was make a site with just there use name put in. I have used a javascript to check it is all fill in then it is posted to me. Now those who get the referrals get club rewards now it only small club of just 80 looking forward to getting 150 members and that is it. Outside of this I am not sure what else to say.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Both php and .net are server-side languages, so are a bunch of others. PHP is the easier one to learn imho. If your server supports php, all you need to do is basically change your existing .html documents to .php and then you are ready to put some php code in them, enclosed in [code]
    <?php
    // your php code goes here
    ?>

With the setup you have right now, the exact same username will always be in there by default. With some php magic you can use links like:

Code:
    <a href="signup.php?referral=jondoe">Sign up here</a>
    and php can get the referral value (jondoe) and can write it in your input value for you.

But once again, I'm not really following your exact requirements.

If it's good enough for you that the exact same username is displayed per default in your input box regardless of where this person is coming from/how he got to your form, than that's fine.
    Dan G

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Both php and .net are server-side languages, so are a bunch of others. PHP is the easier one to learn imho. If your server supports php, all you need to do is basically change your existing .html documents to .php and then you are ready to put some php code in them, enclosed in
    Code:
    <?php
    // your php code goes here
    ?>
    With the setup you have right now, the exact same username will always be in there by default. With some php magic you can use links like:

Code:
    <a href="signup.php?referral=jondoe">Sign up here</a>
    and php can get the referral value (jondoe) and can write it in your input value for you.

But once again, I'm not really following your exact requirements.

If it's good enough for you that the exact same username is displayed per default in your input box regardless of where this person is coming from/how he got to your form, than that's fine.
    Dan G