SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Watch for Fake PageRank sites

When considering an established website , it may well pay off , to get a professional to check the domain out , its history , when last sold , has it been banned in Search Engines. Are links pointing to the current site (current pages) Is there a domain forwarded to it (to create fake Pagerank ) is there a 301 direction on it

There are actually websites that deal in selling domains that have the green bar showing ( google toolbar )that is actually not true of the domain. PR only goes to pages not domains ( in themselves)

Another common practice is to buy a expired domain and load it up (often in a few days) with junk links and material. Just a heads up ...

SitePoint Member MyspaceMyprofile's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the info!!!

Programming Since 1978 silver trophybronze trophy felgall's Avatar
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Just remember that Google resets PR to zero as soon as a domain expires but it may take up to 6 months for that change to show in the displayed PR of the pages on the domain.
    Stephen J Chapman

javascriptexample.net, Book Reviews, follow me on Twitter
    HTML Help, CSS Help, JavaScript Help, PHP/mySQL Help, blog
    <input name="html5" type="text" required pattern="^$">

SitePoint Member MyspaceMyprofile's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by felgall View Post
    Just remember that Google resets PR to zero as soon as a domain expires but it may take up to 6 months for that change to show in the displayed PR of the pages on the domain.
    thank you-Need all the info i can get

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Felgall : I agree to your post. Once the domain is expired. It is expired and the PR is automatically dropped. Before we have experienced that the expired-domains still show the PR, but It is not the case now.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by felgall View Post
    With all due respect, Stephen, where are you getting your information?

Are you suggesting that the thousands of domains listed, bought, and sold at places like TDNAM and FreshDrop.net, which list PR, and who's valuation is partially a function of the expired domain's pre-existing PR are listing that info even though it doesn't have value?

Or that the thousands of 'domainers' who also determine valuation in large part by the pre-expiration Pagerank are simply misled?

I have a large blog network under Wordpressmu taking advantage of high-PR expired domains, with most maintaining their PR 6-12 months later. I also have a number of sites built using expired domains that retained their PR far beyond 6 months.

I don't mean to sound overly sarcastic here, but that is a very loaded statement, and I would be very curious as to what source you can cite for it.

Regards,

Michael
    Last edited by mullman99; Jun 3, 2008 at 22:55. Reason: Typo

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Here's one of the research tools I use to check for fake page rank

http://www.seologs.com/pr-check/pagerank.html

Hope it helps...
    World Championships of Website Flipping Contest!!!
    Take your shot at becoming the worlds best
    website flipper at www.websiteflippingmasters.com

SitePoint Guru
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Are you suggesting that the thousands of domains listed, bought, and sold at places like TDNAM and FreshDrop.net, which list PR, and who's valuation is partially a function of the expired domain's pre-existing PR are listing that info even though it doesn't have value?
    Just because there's a big name behind a listing, doesn't mean you can trust it blindly. There've been people who've always listed the PR even when they knew it would disappear. The smarter ones covered their asses with a disclaimer about the toolbar PR.

mullman99, in your estimate, what time passes between domain drop and re-reg before the PR slate is wiped clean? Or is it your contention that a domain that's been dead for years can be revived with full PR?

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    FruitMedley,

I'm not trying to suggest that Pagerank stays with a domain indefinitely, but Stephen's statement, which was said very matter-of-factly, gives the impression - at least it did to me - that there is some function of the PR algorithm that '"resets PR to zero as soon as a domain expires".

Google exports a 'static' PR value, which is what the toolbar displays, and only updates that value periodically. However the actual Pagerank value used to determine relative SERPs ranking is dynamic, which is why a page can climb or fall in between PR "updates".

There is no doubt that some domains 'lose' their Pagerank very quickly, or even immediately, but it is definitely not 'automatic'.

One of the strategies that I learned from Nancy Andrews and used successfully when I moderated her "SEO Blueprint" forum, is to buy aged, high-PR expired domains, particularly those with strong IBL's, and bring it back up using content similar to what had been on it.

This is an extremely effective way to quickly develop strong, high-PR sites, and works almost every time if you are careful about the expired domains you chose. Most of the sites I have done this with are well beyond 6 months old, and some have been through 3 or 4 subsequent PR updates.

There are certainly 'fake' PR domains out there, however there are many ways to check for PR validity.

My point was only that domains don't necessarily lose their Pagerank when they expire.

Michael

. shoooo... silver trophy logic_earth's Avatar
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Logic without the fatal effects.
    All code snippets are licensed under WTFPL.

SitePoint Evangelist
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    logic_earth, that was indeed the case in 2003 when Googleguy made that announcement. I'm getting the feeling that more recently at least one or two expired domains are getting through with tPR intact.