Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Salary?

Life is short. Be happy today! silver trophybronze trophy Sagewing's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ikjosh View Post
    Self-made millionaires never settle in to a comfort zone.
    Another arguable claim. Good luck finding whatever you are looking for!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sagewing View Post
    Another arguable claim. Good luck finding whatever you are looking for!
    lol, whatever dude.

Good luck.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ...wild...thread.

I plead the 5th! :-P

Alex
    Alex Stanford @alexstanford tumblog about.me in fb G+ K
    TechTalkin The Premier Community for Technology Enthusiasts and Professionals
    Full Ambit Media Zero Sacrifice Web Design & Development; Made in the USA @fullambit in fb G+ K

SitePoint Evangelist
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would ask for at least 35K+ per year for an entry level tech job. If you want a higher paying programming job go with ASP.NET/C#/SQL Server.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by asp-hosting.ca View Post
    I would ask for at least 35K+ per year for an entry level tech job. If you want a higher paying programming job go with ASP.NET/C#/SQL Server.
    I'm beginning to think that this PHP crap is overrated. Sure, it's fun, and yes, you can do almost as many things with it as you can with .NET from what I've seen, but in the end, it's almost impossible finding a job in PHP that's worth the trouble.

Hehe... I was hired for a day in a PHP/MySQL job. I started it very unofficially with nothing signed and nothing documented. I was just kinda thrown into it on my own volition. It was a pathetic gig because it only paid $16 an hour on an 80 hour 1099 classification. Once I realized that the commute and not even making normal payments wasn't going to match what I could make with unemployment, I said to hell with it.

SO, coming from someone who's very bitter at the moment at the fact that he has a B.S. in Information Technology and apparently, no experience worth employers, I would say pursue school. Get as much education as possible. The market here in the States is an absolute nightmare unless you have about 6-7 years of experience in .NET crap or something along those lines.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Wolf_22 View Post
    I'm beginning to think that this PHP crap is overrated. Sure, it's fun, and yes, you can do almost as many things with it as you can with .NET from what I've seen, but in the end, it's almost impossible finding a job in PHP that's worth the trouble.

Hehe... I was hired for a day in a PHP/MySQL job. I started it very unofficially with nothing signed and nothing documented. I was just kinda thrown into it on my own volition. It was a pathetic gig because it only paid $16 an hour on an 80 hour 1099 classification. Once I realized that the commute and not even making normal payments wasn't going to match what I could make with unemployment, I said to hell with it.

SO, coming from someone who's very bitter at the moment at the fact that he has a B.S. in Information Technology and apparently, no experience worth employers, I would say pursue school. Get as much education as possible. The market here in the States is an absolute nightmare unless you have about 6-7 years of experience in .NET crap or something along those lines.
    There is always a job marked for good developers, nomatter what languages they use. The key is what you mentioned in your last sentence, experience.

You can not assume that you will receive an amazing salary if you do not have the experience or track record to prove your worth.

Though as Wolf mentions, if you have the chance pursue school. While it might seem both boring and useless, it is a very valuable experience that I personally would not be without.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'll go ahead and chip in here because I think it may be useful to you. On my first full-time job with a web dev company, I was paid $35,000/yr. I accepted the job at that rate even though I knew it was low for my skillset because let's face it: you have to start somewhere.

And as always (and has been pointed out in this thread already) there were some things that factored into me accepting this rate even though it was a bit low for me:
    - I had no solid work experience yet
    - It was a 100% telecommute work from home 40-hour a week job
    - I live in a state which has a very low cost of living (Oklahoma), which made the salary amount more than enough to live well
    - It was a very small company that was in the growth stage so I knew they could not afford to pay me much more

I hope that at least helps you out a little bit with your decision.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Czaries View Post
    I'll go ahead and chip in here because I think it may be useful to you. On my first full-time job with a web dev company, I was paid $35,000/yr. I accepted the job at that rate even though I knew it was low for my skillset because let's face it: you have to start somewhere.

And as always (and has been pointed out in this thread already) there were some things that factored into me accepting this rate even though it was a bit low for me:
    - I had no solid work experience yet
    - It was a 100% telecommute work from home 40-hour a week job
    - I live in a state which has a very low cost of living (Oklahoma), which made the salary amount more than enough to live well
    - It was a very small company that was in the growth stage so I knew they could not afford to pay me much more

I hope that at least helps you out a little bit with your decision.
    Great post. It's quite encouraging to know that the route I'm taking worked for someone else.
    Alex Stanford @alexstanford tumblog about.me in fb G+ K
    TechTalkin The Premier Community for Technology Enthusiasts and Professionals
    Full Ambit Media Zero Sacrifice Web Design & Development; Made in the USA @fullambit in fb G+ K