SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Selecting drop-down box option based on parameters in URL

I would like to be able to have a parameter in a URL that chooses the "Selected" item in a drop down box when the page loads.

For instance, the url would be something like -- page.html?centerName=center1 or ?centerName=center2 etc.
    Then, when the page loads, depending on what the parameter is, that particular center would be chosen automatically (pre-filled) into the drop down menu that is an input field for a form.

Here is the link to the page I'm trying to accomplish this on.

Is something like this possible?

thanks for any help or ideas. Cheers!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    basically what you do is put the element you want from the url in a variable, and then you use: if var = "x" > set select attribute of option element to "selected".

the first part is sort of explained here and the second part can be done quite easily with jquery or another js library

keep in mind you can also do this on the server side which may be better since JS doesnt have to be enabled in the browser. in this case you use the $_GET parameters and another if > then statement to print out selected="selected" in your option tag
    I need someone to protect me from
    all the measures they take in order to protect me

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I gave up on the select box solution, changed to just filling a text box from a passed variable instead. Works like a charm.