SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Web Based Storage Services

I'm really wanting to find a service that I can use to backup some of my files. I mainly want to back up pictures and movies of my daughter but I don't want to pay an arm and a leg to do it. One thing that I like about online storage options is that I don't have to have an external drive and a safety deposit box. However, there are a ton of services out there to choose from. I was wondering if any of you all had experiences with any and could recommend some.

Thanks!

Galactic Overlord gold trophysilver trophybronze trophy
    Mentioned
    980 Post(s)
    Tagged
    14 Thread(s)
    Good question. I've been meaning to get around to doing the same thing myself. You've prompted me into action.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've been using the free service at Box.net and I like it - relatively fast, nice layout, easy to use. I'm not sure if it will meet your requirements, but check it out.
    Nick . all that we see or seem, is but a dream within a dream
    Show someone you care, send them a virtual flower.
    Good deals on men's watches

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Box.net looks okay but so far I haven't found anyone who does more than 2 gigs for free.

In my search last night I got around to defining more of my requirements and I need at least 15gigs right now as I want to back up photos and movies of my daughter. As you can imagine this will probably grow a lot in the future as well.

I did come across iDrive.com, which seems nice. 150GB storage and 100GB bandwidth per day for either $4.95 a month or $49.95 for a year. That's not too bad!

I meant that to happen silver trophybronze trophy Raffles's Avatar
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There's also Gspace, which uses Gmail's ~6.7GB as a storage space. And of course you can always sign up for more than one account.

It's quite a nice idea, though I expect it'll be quite a bit slower than something dedicated to storage like iDrive. Still, it's free.

SitePoint Wizard bronze trophy devbanana's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have been using Amazon S3 for storage, and it has worked quite well. Unfortunately, it is only a web service, so either you would have to program something to upload and download data to and from it, or find software that does the same.

But, it seems the best solution, since it is basicly unlimited space and bandwidth.
    Laudetur Iesus Christus!
    Christ's Little Flock
    Jesus is the Good Shepherd

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You will struggle to find a reliable service offering 15GB of storage for free. Some like MediaFire do offer unlimited free hosting, but as always with free services there are ads, and little support - but it is an option and the interface is pretty good and have a gallery interface and the servers are pretty fast.

If it is just photos you want to store, then a Flickr account for $24.95/yr offers an awesome service with unlimited storage. They are owned by Yahoo and are popular for good reason.

For more general storage Amazon S3 is certainly an option as you only pay for the space/bandwidth you use. There are numerous ways to make use of these services, JungleDisk being quite a popular one.

I personally use Box.net as the others have said and they offer a great service. I even got my 1GB upgraded to 2GB for free with Trialpay so that is even better.

I also use DropBox, which offers 5GB of free storage with a very small lightweight program that adds a folder to My Documents and automatically backs up files in that folder, and offer versioning. `very useful, although still pretty new.

-Tim

phpLD Fanatic bronze trophy dvduval's Avatar
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    These are very interesting. I have been waiting for something like this. What about uploading files that may be copyrighted such as music? Do any of these services allow that?

SitePoint Wizard bronze trophy devbanana's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No, no service is going to let you upload copyrighted music, because it's illegal.
    Laudetur Iesus Christus!
    Christ's Little Flock
    Jesus is the Good Shepherd

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well uploading copyrighted music is absolutely fine as long as you do not share it with anyone. You are perfectly ok to backup your music collection to Amazon S3 or any of the other general file hosts, but if you share any of it then you would be breaking copyright law and obviously they don't allow that.

There are services designed to be used a music backup services (like Flickr for photos) such as MP3tunes - which has free and paid versions. Again, these are services for backing up your own mp3 collection and then you being able to listen to it anywhere. Allowing others to download your music is, again, breaking copyright law and not allowed.

-Tim