User Tag List

Hybrid View

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Using Access and DSN

I have heard that SQL can handle more requests at one time etc then DSN.

How many connections can a DSN handle at one time? Also is it Access that can't handle all the connections or is it the DSN?

Because what if I used a Provider string of a direct location to the database, then would the connection issue be non-existent?

Thanks for any information!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    DSN stands for Data Source Name. You set up a DSN using the ODBC Data Source Administrator in Windows. This just acts as a name to refer to a specific database when you are establishing a DSN Connection. You can also specify a DSNLess Connection and receive the same results. Using a DSNLess connection just means knowing the exact details of the database and hard coding them into your connection string.

The number or concurrent connections allowed to a database at one time is dependent on the database type. ie. SQLServer, MS Access etc. Note that the number of concurrent connections may also be influenced by the number of licences the database owner has and the settings for that particular database.

But to answer your question, I believe it is Access that can't handle all the connections, not the DSN.

I don't know the exact numbers, but yes, SQLServer has the potential to handle more concurrent connections.
    Brad Culbert
    SQL Server 2005 Books
    www.SQLServer2005Books.com - Reader-rated SQL Server 2005 Books

The doctor is in... silver trophy MarcusJT's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wilmot is quite right. Access was never designed to handle large numbers of concurrent users - that's what SQL Server is for!

I can't seem to find an appropriate link to give you right now - ask the Oracle at Delphi (or failing that, Google will do!)

Take it from me, 50 concurrent users is about the limit for Access - any more, and you need to upscale to something else (MySQL / MS SQL). Needless to say, 50 concurrent user limit + popular website = SLOW!

M@rco