User Tag List

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Please review domestic cleaning site

Hi All,

Would love feedback on the layout, design, colours, navigation and overall feel of http://www.cleaningplace.co.uk

Cheers,
    Dale

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

functional

I think your site is very functional for the market that you are in. If you were selling websites, then I would tell you to start over. Fortunately, the people in your space either do not have a website or it is just a business card type layout. I like that you have the book a cleaner now on the first page.

I am not crazy about the color scheme, and I think you could use some images for your titles to make it a little sleeker.
    Internet Marketing Services I Recommend:
    Buy Twitter Followers : 1k-25k Followers
    Affordable SEO : Google, Yahoo, Bing, and Local
    Social Media Marketing Services : FB, Twit, LI, YouTube

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, you're in the business of "cleaning" and your site is most definitely clean. I like the layout - makes for easy reading. And thus I say you've hit the perfect spot.

Good luck.
    GRAB AS MANY PR3 TO PR5 LINKS AS YOU LIKE
    Only 36 more slots available

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Design looks good, but it looks like all the content is cramped into the middle of the page, perhaps more "white space" would solve this issue.

Text at the lower part of the page is relatively small. Some of the bg colours are too bright, in my opinion. Otherwise, simple and clean design

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I like the overall idea of the site. The only problem I have with it is that I think the header does not suit the rest of the site.

Other then that it's great!

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I agree with the above. The header doesn't fit that well into the site. Maybe try another font?

The paragraph "Compare domestic cleaners in the UK now..." also bothers me a bit. Can you try making so that each line does not run the entire width of the box? Maybe just 2/3 of the width. That way, it doesn't seem like I'm beginning to read an essay. hehe.
    Vancouver Web Design - EQQY DESIGNS
    "Economically, you are unsound; socially you are wrong;
    industrially, you are an impossibility."
    -Samuel Gompers

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, I like the header, and I liked that it looks like tile being cleaned. The color from the pink glove needs to be picked up somewhere else on the page. A good balance would be another well integrated cleaning tool, like a brush or something. Always pick up your colors in more than one place, just like decorating a room. I'd like it if you incorporated some photos. Cheerful (haha) cleaning people photos!

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    From what I can gather, the main focus of your is to compare cleaners, yet your compare form is off to the side. Would be better placed swapping your sidebar and main content area (bump the width up for the new sidebar, of course). Also jump the size of your text up to give a nice clear form.

You're footer ("browse by" sections) could also feature as a bit more on the home page i feel. Especially if the form isnt wielding the results a person is looking for. Perhaps a separate "browse by postcode" form under your main form?

Design wise, the varying rounded boxes, non-rounded boxes feels a little off.

Colours are okay, but maybe too many variants of blue.

To make the logo fit more, try and incorporate the pink and those shades of blue into the rest of the page. The jaggy edging on it doesn't work. Stands out too much.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Dale
    The overall feel is not very professional (a little home-made) The logo needs to be sharper and looks a bit cheap. The colour scheme is way off. You should stick to one type of blue and then a complementary colour. The box which should be rounded on the right does not resolve well in my browser (IE6). I would also lose the Adsense. And I would lose the mass of small text links way at the bottom of the page. I understand why you have done it but it doesn't look very good. Hope I don't sound too harsh

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think logo could be better. You can reorganize "Looking for a House cleaner" section's design.

Others are fine.

DSGNR

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Colour schemes are spot on for the target market, although the logo design play’s against the idea of “cleanliness”, for me it’s quite “grungy” which is not something associated with “cleanliness”. This is simply based upon the rough edges and dark colours.

Other points: I would be tempted to change the rollover colour of your navigation from gray and you are also having some side bar formatting issues in IE7, the services and rate columns are breaking out of the container.

Si

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think the site is clean but I would agree with others that the header logo needs to be "cleaned" up a bit. I would go for a more realistic image that is faded with a crisp looking logo.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks everyone for the feedback. We are taking this on board and will repost seeking feedback next week. Thanks again all - your comments are really helpful!

Dale

SitePoint Evangelist happybrian's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've just looked at the site anyway (I know your closed) and it's looking really good! I don't know if you've already taken feedback and implemented it, but I think you could be on to a really lucrative thing here.

Especially nice one on the "page per locatoin" - good for the search engines!

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi HappyBrian,

Thanks for the feedback. Yes, we recently redesigned the entire site based on feedback from users of this forum - thanks again guys!

Welcoming any further feedback on the new design!

Cheers,
    Dale

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah I agree with the second poster, the site suits the market you are targeting. Clean and professional. The only suggestion I have is to make those boxes rounded, rounded boxes make layouts much smoother.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think it looks really good, except a few little things - I found the buttons, with their glow and mirror effect, a little blurry and thought the mouseover border was a bit chunky. Also, the text on the right looks like it needs justifying. Apart from that, looks great. Best of luck with it.
    Picture - Image hosting & media sharing

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Liked blue color .. !

SitePoint Evangelist happybrian's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The same way that on your homepage, you have that image on the bottom right of the guy hoovering the floor - can your other oages also have cleaning images in them?

Picture speaks a thousand words!

SitePoint Wizard
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Great looking site!

TITLE could perhaps do with more creative keywords, types of cleaning or country names.

I'm not a huge fan of the "over-reflection" on the navigation, but it's not unbearable. And perhaps the hover border could be replaced by something more subtle. I am nit-pickin'. The soft outer glow works a treat on that "2.0" blue

Perhaps the login/registration forms could be spruced up a bit to be in keeping with the blue of the navigation, just to re-assure the user.

Perhaps more padding on the home page form. It's such a sweet box and idea but could do with a slightly improved layout.

Will anything go top-right? Perhaps there could go icons to login quicker, or telephone numbers for 'emergency' cases heh.

Can't say much more, I really like the idea. Could perhaps be using the 'End of Tenancy' one shortly hehe.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I like it, perhaps you could try a light blue for the middle content. Looks good, but too blue for me.
    Guatemala Travel Guides
    The future was written in the past. Read, learn, travel
    Ciudades Mayas

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I like your homepage, it's simple. When I opened it up, I immediately knew what I needed to do and that' very important from a visitors' perspective. I would work a little bit on the images and the main menu though. Your images are a bit fuzzy and the main one is a bit oversized for my taste. The same goes for your main menu, I would reduce its height and get rid of the mirror images. Other than that, I would keep it just as simple as it is.

Merchant services
    Accept Credit Cards Online
    Credit Card Payment Processing

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Here is my review:

1. the logo text looks bad..i see it's a jpg but with a bad quality of compression. try a png
    2. overall too much blue - try a second and even a third color
    3. i would go for a white-to-gray gradient where it says "find your house..."
    4. the menu hover state is bad - also on the find icon you can see that the background was deleted
    5. adsense on your site? with your competitors there? not good for your business
    6. right column - put a gradient on the main headers :"What is CleaningPlace.co.uk?" and "Get listed on CleaningPlace.co.uk" and make it a round corners column
    7. footer - make it darker
    thanks

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    resave the logo in a bit higher quality i can see some artifacts
    other than that seems a pretty nice site

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Very clean layout, i like it! Keep up the good work! I think that the header needs a little work though.