SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What do you think of my 'interaction design blog'?

Hi there,

I have been checking out some nice sites and I guess it is time ask something back of the community. I have my blog about interaction design and usability up and running for some time and would like to hear your suggestions, feedback and what not more!

Always tricky when my blog about usability asks you for feedback about usability, so here we go.

And the link;
    Interaction design
    Last edited by interaction; May 26, 2008 at 15:30.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You've got some good content there. I like it, but usability wise I think you've got your widgets all wrong. I would go for -

Topics
    Recent posts
    Archives
    Recent comments
    (maybe calender or tag cloud)
    Blogroll

I can never see any reason to have blogroll near the top. You want people to stay on your site.

You've picked a very good theme there, one which is easy to modify, so I would maybe suggest tweaking it a little to make it more unique (as that theme is seen a lot)
    Picture - Image hosting & media sharing

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    hi htpc, thanks for your comments. Good point, I changed the order of the widgets in the sidebar. It is more content oriented now. More feedback or suggestions are always welcome. What do you think of my writing style and points that I try to make in my articles?

Thanks again all!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Also, I think you need to indicate that there's more to the posts on the homepage (read more...) I use this design, but I don't use as many images as you are doing in your posts, and generally my text isn't as long, so I have it set as full posts on homepage. When I first looked I didn't realise there was more to read in the posts.

I've had a quick glance at some of the posts, and they look generally well written (spotted one typo - Samsung has give a preview of their new MP3 player the ‘S2′ . Should be given

I was most impressed with the images - very top quality and loaded fast.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi htpc,

Good point again, this again proves my belief every design should be checked by future users or at least experts (like here . I fixed the read more to indicate that the article is longer. In my case I chose for 'continue reading...' But I guess that should be fine.

I fixed the typo, I hate those! If anyone has more feedback, keep it coming!
    Last edited by interaction; May 26, 2008 at 06:18.

SitePoint Wizard
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This site is kind of like engagets but for designer audience. I like the idea. Now to the negative (I won't say any positive since it's not productive comments)

1. Either you get a great logo or shrink the header size. Just seems such a waste of space. You might consider making it look like www.digg.com

2. Add diggs link and others like del.icio.us

3. Get rid of the roll over effect on the Logo.. it looks tacky.

As long as you provide great contents and update as much as engaget site, I think your site will defintely work!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    1. Either you get a great logo or shrink the header size. Just seems such a waste of space. You might consider making it look like www.digg.com
    As I said earlier this is quite an easy theme to tweak.

Add diggs link and others like del.icio.us
    I agree and would recommend the sociable plugin for this.

Get rid of the roll over effect on the Logo.. it looks tacky.
    I don't think it's actually that bad, and as I said before this is quite a common theme. You have unique content, so should definitely look into having a unique theme with your own logo.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Smile

Excellent pictures and design. I liked the pictures you have added.
    Mobile Phones | SEO Tips - Latest SEO Tips for Beginners
    Java Examples | Delhi City Picture

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'd go crazy with the design too since the skin lets you do the modifications. It looks simple and elegant. A bit more personalization would be perfect (more design on it). Best of luck with the project.

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Nice design

I really like the design, it's very eye catching. What I would do differently is the size of your images in the posts. They strike me as too big in relation to the text they go with. I think they should be at least twice smaller than they currently are on your blog's home page. Then you can enlarge them as much as you want in your internal pages (as you actually have done already). Also you might want to consider placing them to the side of the text, instead of underneath it, you will save a lot of space that way.

The last comment has to do with what others have already suggested - adding a social networking link. I would recommend the Add This button, which gives your visitors an one click access to all networks that matter.
    Last edited by stymiee; Jun 2, 2008 at 08:31.

SitePoint Evangelist happybrian's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You have very little text per article on the front page before adding your more tag. Would you consider upping this amount? I generally need to read a little more before being sucked into an article enough to click on the "read the rest of this article" button?

It's up to you, but I had a quick look at the deeper pages and they are quite interesting. Help us know that by giving us more on the front page.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think the design is very clean and looks pretty good. What throws me off are the keywords on the top right, how they are all different sizes. I don't like that.
    For my blog and examples of past writing work, visit: Hykra.com

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for all the good comments, this really helps me further in developing my blog. Give me some time to fiddle around with the design and I will get back to you here.

@ sq707
    1. Yes the header is a bit big, but I kind of like it. I will tweak the blog and I probably will make the header smaller, thanks for that tip!

2. I added the links!

3. I don't think the roll over effect looks too bad, maybe I will change the colors.

@ htpc
    Thanks for the good comments and I installed the sociable plugin.

@ hem
    Glad you liked the pictures

@ dojo
    I fully agree that more personalization would be better, I will do some modifications and get back to you, thanks for the coment!

@ msl
    Glad you like the design. I wanted to make the size of the pictures unique for this site. I want to give high quality pics and a simple page (without enlarging or resizing the pictures). I agree that the pictures are quite big in relation with the text.

I added a social plugin, thanks for the suggestion!

@ happybrain
    Good tip, I will enlarge the amount of text for the excerpts. I was hoping that the small pictures would suck people in the articles as well. Do you think it is more balanced now (for the latest posts)?

@ HSgamers
    Thanks for the compliment, I tried to relate the size of the words with the number of articles, but from an usability point you are definitely right, I will give it some thought. Thanks!

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Lightbulb

Hello

here is my review besides the site looks great:
    1. A lot of white space - too much i think
    2. too much scrolling - try to make your articles shorter on the first page
    3. footer says only copyright 2008?
    4. i would add a nice and big rss icon on the right side to make it more colourful

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by tanicos View Post
    Hello

here is my review besides the site looks great:
    1. A lot of white space - too much i think
    2. too much scrolling - try to make your articles shorter on the first page
    3. footer says only copyright 2008?
    4. i would add a nice and big rss icon on the right side to make it more colourful
    Hi tanicos,

Good idea to make a big colorful rss icon on the right side, I will look into that! What for text do you suggest in the 'copyright section'? Should I include a name?