SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    In memoriam gold trophysilver trophybronze trophy Dan Schulz's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I doubt the planet is over-crowded actually (yet). It's just that the distribution systems we have set up are not optimized to reach everyone that needs the goods and services that the providers can deliver.

SitePoint Enthusiast WickedGoddess's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    here in the Phils..

Regular unleaded gasoline is now being sold at P 60 per liter. That works out to $5.16 per gallon.
    For diesel fuel, the current price is P 51 per liter. That works out to $4.39 per gallon.

--Sad

SitePoint Wizard bronze trophy Tailslide's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Apparently Diesel just went up to £6 a gallon yesterday - which would be around $12 a gallon.
    Little Blue Plane Web Design
    Blood, Sweat & Rust - A Land Rover restoration project

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    $12 a gal? Unreal. But after hearing the news about oil today and where it's headed, $12 a gal may just be a bargain right now!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TerryE View Post
    $12 a gal? Unreal. But after hearing the news about oil today and where it's headed, $12 a gal may just be a bargain right now!
    Now with almost all major economies in recession and oil prices (in international oil markets) falling rapidly, are you seeing any noticeable retail price reduction in your town? Or is it still unbearably high?

What I have notice is that while retail oil prices rise sharply in proportion to rising wholesale oil prices, the vice versa is not true. Petrolium retailers are reluctant to reduce their prices in any meaningful way in the light of falling oil prices in the international markets...Something fishy going on. Price fixing is may be too strong a word to use in this context but you get the gist of my ranting I guess...
    ------------------

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by rageh View Post
    Now with almost all major economies in recession and oil prices (in international oil markets) falling rapidly, are you seeing any noticeable retail price reduction in your town? Or is it still unbearably high?

What I have notice is that while retail oil prices rise sharply in proportion to rising wholesale oil prices, the vice versa is not true. Petrolium retailers are reluctant to reduce their prices in any meaningful way in the light of falling oil prices in the international markets...Something fishy going on. Price fixing is may be too strong a word to use in this context but you get the gist of my ranting I guess...
    I actually think prematurely high petrol prices are good shock horror

Sooner or later, we are going to have to change to an alternaltive energy, we are riding a dieing horse. The sooner we change the better and high prices encourage a change.

In the UK we seriously need much better public transport. It needs to run longer hours, be more punctual and cheeper. Other european countries like Germany, France and Spain are way ahead of us on this.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ro0bear View Post
    In the UK we seriously need much better public transport. It needs to run longer hours, be more punctual and cheeper. Other european countries like Germany, France and Spain are way ahead of us on this.
    I am baffled as to why there is no tram system in central london. There is one in the outskirts of the city but none in the Centre where it is badly needed. It just defies logic. I am sure public transportation would have been much better.

The recent oil spikes were artificially created by greedy speculators, who I would have banned them if I had the power. Once the speculative factor was removed, prices went down 50% in few months. In other words, it could not have served as an incentive to switch to greener technology. But I hope politicians realized that there must be an alternative to fossil fuel.

The recent shock prices were not apparently as a result of lack of oil. It was unregulated capitalist greed which made life more unpleasant for the majority.
    ------------------

SitePoint Author silver trophybronze trophy

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by rageh View Post
    Yes and yes.

The price has gone down almost 25% since July, but it's still unbearably high.
    70% of the petrol price here is taxes anyway, so even if OPEC were to give oil away for free it'd still be expensive.
    Birnam wood is come to Dunsinane

Theoretical Physics Student bronze trophy Jake Arkinstall's Avatar
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am baffled as to why there is no tram system in central london.
    Well, I the tube always gets me to where I want to go - and I spend quite alot of time down there. What benefits would a tram system give?

The recent shock prices were not apparently as a result of lack of oil. It was unregulated capitalist greed which made life more unpleasant for the majority.
    The same thing resulted in the current recession.

What I'm suprised at is the shock. The fact that the UK is in a recession is all over the news - first of all, we've known about it for ages. Secondly - why are we still living our everyday lives exactly the same?

The UK is in 'crisis' yet most people don't even know about it. Shows alot for the UK, eh?
    Jake Arkinstall
    "Sometimes you don't need to reinvent the wheel;
    Sometimes its enough to make that wheel more rounded"-Molona

From space with love silver trophy
    Mentioned
    93 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ro0bear View Post
    I actually think prematurely high petrol prices are good shock horror

Sooner or later, we are going to have to change to an alternaltive energy, we are riding a dieing horse. The sooner we change the better and high prices encourage a change.

Agreed, public transport here in the UK, on the whole is mega fail. Sometimes your lucky if the bus or train turns up late if at all, it's expensive, very overcrowded in places and doesn't always run when and where people need it (ie around industrial estates around the time for change of shifts).

Beeching has a lot to answer for (he wrote a report last century which resulted in the axing of probably over 50% of the railway lines that were in existence years ago. The too biggest mistakes of more recent decades was the privatisation of the railways and of buses and coaches.

With regard to petrol, it's dropping in price here at the moment, it might drop below 0.90 a litre in some places.
    Community Team Advisor
    Forum Guidelines: Posting FAQ Signatures FAQ Self Promotion FAQ
    Help the Mods: What's Fluff? Report Fluff/Spam to a Moderator

Theoretical Physics Student bronze trophy Jake Arkinstall's Avatar
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sometimes your lucky if the bus or train turns up late if at all, it's expensive, very overcrowded in places and doesn't always run when and where people need it
    The first point is incorrect from my point of view. I get a return train ticket to london regularly (from Shrewsbury, close to the Wales border - i.e the other side of England) for under £30 - I've made over 50 of these journeys, and I've never had a late train (and this is with about 4 different rail companies I've tried).

The second is very true - though what you have to remember is that if the train stopped more often, it would take even longer.
    Jake Arkinstall
    "Sometimes you don't need to reinvent the wheel;
    Sometimes its enough to make that wheel more rounded"-Molona

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by arkinstall View Post
    The first point is incorrect from my point of view. I get a return train ticket to london regularly (from Shrewsbury, close to the Wales border - i.e the other side of England) for under £30 - I've made over 50 of these journeys, and I've never had a late train (and this is with about 4 different rail companies I've tried).
    Your lucky, I don’t use the trains very often but when I have they have often been late. I have regularly arrived at my destination over 30 mins late, usually caused by one slow train causing me to miss my other scheduled trains and needing to work out and take a different route.

On one occasion a late train meant i missed the only train to my destination from the station I had arrived at that day, so I had to go back to the previous larger station where I had to wait over a hour to get another train back up to my destination.

My friend had a friend visit him from Spain, and when she got a train to his town and was told it would cost £36 she thought they were joking, especially when they were saying that was a cheap ticket lol.
    Apparently it costs a fraction of the price in Spain, and in Japan they manage to get the trains on time within seconds. Why not here?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It actually seems that the gas prices will be going down here in New Zealand. Not sure whats happening overseas though. We pay way more than anyone for gas anyway I think. It's $1.80 a liter here. It was $2.15 a liter at at one point. That was pretty nuts.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by arkinstall View Post
    Well, I the tube always gets me to where I want to go - and I spend quite alot of time down there. What benefits would a tram system give?
    The Tube(underground) system is not a city-wide. Large areas are unserviced which are left to rely on unpuntual trains and buses. A tram system would have added more carrying capacity which is direly needed in rush hours.

Quote Originally Posted by AutisticCuckoo View Post
    70% of the petrol price here is taxes anyway, so even if OPEC were to give oil away for free it'd still be expensive.
    I agree with you there.
    ------------------