SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

How much has gas/petrol price increased?

The petrol/gas prices have been increasing at alarming rate recently as we all know. Let's compare notes and grievances too.

In your part of the World, how much in percentage terms has it increased from May 2007 to May 2008? Please mention your country to make the comparison more meaningful. Happy ranting and raving about petrol prices for a change Shall we.
    ------------------

SitePoint Author silver trophybronze trophy

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I filled up today (in Sweden) and it was SEK 13.49/litre, which translates into USD 8.61/gallon or GBP 1.15/litre.
    Birnam wood is come to Dunsinane

Is Still Alive silver trophybronze trophy RetroNetro's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I just got gas and it was USD $3.79 per gallon. I am in the USA, Texas.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't have a car, but the local petrol station is 118p a liter. or just over $10 per gallon.

Programming Since 1978 silver trophybronze trophy felgall's Avatar
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    About $1.60 AUD per litre here in Sydney (up from $1.40 last week). That's about $7.25 a gallon of just over $6 for what they call a gallon in the USA.

With the current exchange rate that works out to be about $5.70US per US gallon or $6.75US per real gallon.
    Stephen J Chapman

javascriptexample.net, Book Reviews, follow me on Twitter
    HTML Help, CSS Help, JavaScript Help, PHP/mySQL Help, blog
    <input name="html5" type="text" required pattern="^$">

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well I am paying $4 bucks now . Trying to modify my car so that it works with water .

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by AutisticCuckoo View Post
    I filled up today (in Sweden) and it was SEK 13.49/litre, which translates into USD 8.61/gallon or GBP 1.15/litre.
    That is just about how much we pay here in the UK for unleaded petrol. One year ago, it is 0.97. So there has been an increase of 18 pence in 12 months. Quite a lot.
    ------------------

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by HarryR View Post
    I don't have a car, but the local petrol station is 118p a liter. or just over $10 per gallon.
    Apparently the UK gallon is bigger in volume capacity than the US gallon. According to this source, US gallon = 3.8 litres while the UK gallon = 4.5 litres.
    Last edited by rageh; May 25, 2008 at 04:16. Reason: mix-up
    ------------------

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I believe from one year ago it went up about $1 - $1.50. So a pretty large increase - 10-20&#37;.
    Self-Help Guides - Improve Your Life
    Travel Agent Business - Become a Travel Agent
    Tutoring - Tutoring
    Term Papers - Term Paper Help

SitePoint Wizard bronze trophy Kailash Badu's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I just tanked up yesterday and it was like $1.35/liter.

Is Still Alive silver trophybronze trophy RetroNetro's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by rageh View Post
    US gallon = 3.8 litres while the US gallon = 4.4 litres.
    ummm...

In memoriam gold trophysilver trophybronze trophy Dan Schulz's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, it's gone up about 85 cents here in the Chicago area - prices now are about $4.12 a gallon.

I did comment the other day that on the average, gas prices have gone up about 400&#37; over the past ten years (in May 1998 you'd be hard pressed to find a gas station charging more than a buck for a gallon of gas over here).

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    May 2002 (when I bought my car): $1.25/gal, car filled up on about $15. And a few months before that gas was below $1/gal.

May 2004: $1.80/gal

May 2007: $3.00/gal

May 2008: $3.97/gal, same car now takes about $50 to fill.

Not that I care. I bought a car I knew I'd be able to afford in perpetuity and I telecommute

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BPartch View Post
    ummm...
    I got it... It has now been corrected.

Quote Originally Posted by vgarcia View Post
    May 2002 (when I bought my car): $1.25/gal, car filled up on about $15. And a few months before that gas was below $1/gal.

May 2004: $1.80/gal

May 2007: $3.00/gal

May 2008: $3.97/gal, same car now takes about $50 to fill.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Schulz View Post
    Well, it's gone up about 85 cents here in the Chicago area - prices now are about $4.12 a gallon.
    You guys are catching up the rest of us fast. In the UK we pay $2.30 per litre or $8.50 per gallon(the US gallon). It is really getting crazy and people are getting working up about it. And rightly so but there is nothing we can do about it.
    ------------------

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't know about the price per galon, but I do know that filling my Toyota Corolla (small car) from "Empty" to "Full" costs me about $6.5 US.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mPeror View Post
    I don't know about the price per galon, but I do know that filling my Toyota Corolla (small car) from "Empty" to "Full" costs me about $6.5 US.
    That is very cheap by any standard. Lucky you I had Toyota Corolla not long ago and filling it up from empty costed me well over $80
    ------------------

I meant that to happen silver trophybronze trophy Raffles's Avatar
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A friend who works sporadically in Dubai told me yesterday that filling up a Mitsubishi Shogun with a V8 engine cost about &#163;8 ($16). This is a large vehicle with a large fuel tank, probably about 80 litres.

I'm so happy that I'm commuting by bicycle. But I'm not naive enough to not realise that the fuel increase is of course having a knock-on effect on everything else, particularly food, which has also risen in price an awful lot.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The last time I bought gas, I paid $3.75/gal for midgrade. That was in New Jersey, though. Around here, it's $4.15/gal as of yesterday. You can still get regular for under $4.00/gal in the area, but not anywhere I frequent.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

(courtesy of the BBC - http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/7082847.stm#petrol)

It's doubled in price in 8 years here, not as much of a price rise as in the USA. However consider that over 50p of the cost of petrol is duty & tax here.

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    May 2007 1 dollar/litter
    May 2007 1.3 dollar/litter
    i am in toronto

SitePoint Enthusiast EveryoneCollects's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

(courtesy of the BBC - http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/7082847.stm#petrol)

It's doubled in price in 8 years here, not as much of a price rise as in the USA. However consider that over 50p of the cost of petrol is duty & tax here.
    Too right! and whether it's Mr Brown's fault or not, he's the one who's copping the blame for it from the masses...and deservedly too. After all, he's spent the last 11 years taking the credit for the monetary good fortune the world has shared. Ohh... how the chickens come home to roost

..back with a vengeance... Ingoal's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, gas is at an all-time high over here in germany...two weeks ago the price for a liter of super (95 octane) was over 1,5 Euro for the first time ever (1,50 €/l = 5,67811767 €/gallon...with the current weak dollar, that's 8,960$/gallon)...

As I don't have any "newer receipts" handy here in the office, I can only compare it to some really old ones (end of 2000)...the liter was 1,03 € or 2,029 DM...oh the good old times...lol...and we thought it was expensive back then...

On another note: over here in germany most of the new cars were sold with a diesel engine the last two to three years...more kms/miles per liter/gallon...cheaper prices of the fuel...well...bad news for the diesel drivers...this week for the first time in history, diesel is more expensive than super...so sick...I guess it's time to switch to autogas (LPG) which got a tax-break until 2018 over here...

On another note #2: at times like these it's so funny when you visit other countries...in my last egypt vacation I talked to the locals and they told me something interesting, the liter super (95octane) is 5 euro-cents...the liter diesel is 2 euro-cents...makes you wonder...I mean it's obvious that a huge chunk of the price over here is the normal sales tax plus the environmental tax...but still...the oil companies (e.g. Shell, etc) are earning themselves a golden nose...or two...per head...

On another note #3: ...given the thoughts above, it really makes you wonder about another thing: why is it that some countries try to reduce environmental pollution with an iron fist, e.g. through horrendous taxes on fuel, while others couldn't care less...do they really think that we got a seperated eco-systems...not pointing any fingers here...just wondering...(and yes, I'm a supporting member of greenpeace )....
    Advisor - Community Team
    CHD-magician + + =
    Some of my sites: [1|2|3|4|5|6|7|8|9|10]
    Newest site: ZZ.GD - t dsn't gt mch shrtr thn tht

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ingoal View Post
    On another note: over here in germany most of the new cars were sold with a diesel engine the last two to three years...more kms/miles per liter/gallon...cheaper prices of the fuel...well...bad news for the diesel drivers...this week for the first time in history, diesel is more expensive than super...so sick...I guess it's time to switch to autogas (LPG) which got a tax-break until 2018 over here...
    I think it's around .55 GBP ($1.10) per liter for autogas/LPG here, although the price has risen along with petrol/diesel it's hard to find refueling stations outside of London.

..back with a vengeance... Ingoal's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think it's around .55 GBP ($1.10) per liter for autogas/LPG here, although the price has risen along with petrol/diesel it's hard to find refueling stations outside of London.
    It's only hard to find natural gasoline stations over here, ones carrying LPG are basically in every other city...so that's no problem...and in the end, if you don't find one right away...you can always bridge the distance by using regular fuel...
    Advisor - Community Team
    CHD-magician + + =
    Some of my sites: [1|2|3|4|5|6|7|8|9|10]
    Newest site: ZZ.GD - t dsn't gt mch shrtr thn tht

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ingoal View Post
    On another note #2: at times like these it's so funny when you visit other countries...in my last egypt vacation I talked to the locals and they told me something interesting, the liter super (95octane) is 5 euro-cents...the liter diesel is 2 euro-cents...makes you wonder...I mean it's obvious that a huge chunk of the price over here is the normal sales tax plus the environmental tax...but still...the oil companies (e.g. Shell, etc) are earning themselves a golden nose...or two...per head...
    Oil is subsidized by the govt in many oil-producing countries, i.e. Saudi Arabia and Venezuela. Prices are normally not that low even at market rates with no taxes. That's also why mperor's fillup is $6 while everyone else pays 10 times that.

And if you think the oil companies (shell, mobil etc) are making this price rise all up, PLEASE take an economics class and look into their financials because they're not acting as evil as you think. Their profit margin is 10&#37; and their high absolute profits are because of volume/scale. Their profit margin is less than most software companies. And the best way to "stick it to the oil companies" is to not buy from them, fairly simple.