SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Transfer 50 - 100 GB database on your web hosting. Quote price

I was hosted on a vps at dreamhost.but they took the whole site down due to a dmca copyright infringement notice that they received.

The site in question is a management students community.

Now after a lot of communications they have agreed to give me access to my database

The database is huge. I am not sure about the size.

From where I stay, the database cannot be downloaded quickly.

Please reply with the rates of downloading the database from a location the hosting company provides and storing it on your server.

Need 4 type of rates assuming the database is of
    1.) 20 gb,
    2.) 40gb,
    3.) 80gb,
    4.) 100gb.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think that you need to transfer it not there where you live - you need to transfer it to new web host. Ask your new provider transfer that for yiou and I'm sure that they will be more then happy.
    ServerPoint.com - a true hosting company since 1998
    Web Hosting, colocation,
    dedicated servers, Virtual Private Server (VPS) hosting

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I really doubt that it'd be over 20gb considering you mentioned you were running a VPS system and the data would be mostly (from your previous posts) be forum messages.

For a standard import to your new VPS or dedicated server it'd probably take around 3 hours of actual consulting time, possibly with a few extra hours where it's just importing.

At 100gb you'd be looking at a large-spec dedicated server with a day or three to run the import & rebuild indices which wouldn't be very cheap.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes, I agree, you may need at least some good high end VPS or dedicated server. The migration will also need some time as those data bases of yours are big and may need additional configuration.

Good Luck
    A.
    HostColor.com
    Colocation | Dedicated Servers | VPS Hosting
    Web hosting provider since 2000

Non-Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think for a database of 20-40GB you might look for a managed vps option, there are hosts who can help you to migrate your site.

@SErverpoint.com:I wonder if your company helps with the site migration to vps plans?

For a larger amount of disk space like 80-100GB a low-end dedicated server might be good, some of the cheap low-end dedicated server providers are serverpronto.com and ahosting.biz.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by craigLL View Post
    For a larger amount of disk space like 80-100GB a low-end dedicated server might be good, some of the cheap low-end dedicated server providers are serverpronto.com and ahosting.biz.
    For just a database? Remember a small amount of this will then be queried fairly reguarly, even with 3-4gb of data you still have to take into account the indexes on a dataset as large as 100gb are likely going to be upto several gigabytes in size.
    Not to mention for effective caching at the OS level you would expect to have several GB in addition to that which is not being used by other applications.

You'd be looking at a server with a minimum amount of 8gb of ram just to get any sort of usable speed from your queries.

Considering that the whole Wikipedia database is around 150gb, I think your estimates on the size of the database are hugely exaggerated.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    probably the zipped version of the sql will be approximately 20 - 30 gb.

The problem is I have not received any communication from my hosting since past 4 days so the anxiety is increasing