SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

100%,* framerow???

I was recently nosing though the code of a website which appeared to be using frames. On closer examinations I discovered that the rows were set as follows <frameset rows="100&#37;,*" ... >what the ?? why do this? - the actual "frame" was flawless xhtml 1.0 transitional so why bother with frames at all?

Now, doubtless, i am showing my ignorance here but it's not the first time I've come across this but have no idea why you would want to use frames with effectively 1 frame? Is it some sort of crazy Frontpage "feature" or what? or is it some javascript thing for showing different versions of the page for different version of browsers? if this is the case won't this still adversely effect SEO or how search engines see the site?

SitePoint Author silver trophybronze trophy

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sometimes people do this because they want the address field to show nothing but the domain name, even for interior pages. It's a misconception about how the web is supposed to work, and you don't see this as much as you used to.

Another reason can be that they want a 0-pixel frame with some special content in order to get an approximate count of 'unique visits'. That content would probably be requested only once for each visit, and by counting the number of requests for it in the log files, you can get an idea of how many 'visits' you've had, compared to how many page requests in total.
    Birnam wood is come to Dunsinane