SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Addicted to the Source of Life PowerBit's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Cool Looking for some good insite on web site design.

Hi,

I am am a designer with a growing interest in Flash media. I just read an article about designing accessible flash sites. This has perked my interest in design theory. I have a load of questions all open for input.

Right now I am wondering what is the use of a database driven site besides saying your site is database driven? Right now I have a static XTML/CSS site at powerbitwebdesign.com. It looks fair and well and could use some attention. But I want to move in the direction of a flash site with an accessible HTML document underneath for SEO purposes. Some one suggested providing these documents through a database like mySQL with PHP. What for? If I am going to learn programming shouldn't I be looking into an Adobe framework? I want to start small, where I can understand everything. But I would like to be able to update easily and ad content and change navigation. Any imput would be greatly appreciated.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    CSS and html are what I would recommend for someone just getting into the industry and make sure to validate your code at w3c. Flash is a mess for beginners in my opinion and leads to bad practices. I don't use flash on any websites except for very small but crucial animations.

Addicted to the Source of Life PowerBit's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What's a mess about flash if you have good design principles? The application has a lot of promise for design and even methods to employ usability and accessibility. I appreciate your approach at keeping things simple. I have some polishing to do with HTML/CSS but truly I am ready to learn more.

Anybody else? Your input is welcomed

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm not talking design principles... more along the lines of usability, search engine optimization, page load times, etc. Flash designs look great but is not suitable for most website projects
    UNLIMITED Domains - UNLIMITED Disk Space - UNLIMITED Bandwidth
    *Black Friday - Website Hosting Deal of The Year - 50% OFF!

SQL Consultant gold trophysilver trophybronze trophy
    Mentioned
    63 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by PowerBit View Post
    Right now I am wondering what is the use of a database driven site besides saying your site is database driven?
    it simplifies your code

retrieving the contents of a web page from the database means that you can (typically) have only a small number of page templates, each of which is capable of presenting hundreds of different pages

without that, you have to maintain the hundreds of different pages as separate pages

with the content in the database, you need only to determine, from the url, which content to retrieve (and perhaps which template to use to display it)

maintaining the content is done through web forms which behave almost exactly the same way that you use web forms to communicate on this forum -- to create a thread, create a post, edit a post, search for posts, etc.
    rudy.ca | @rudydotca
    Buy my SitePoint book: Simply SQL
    "giving out my real stuffs"

SitePoint Wizard bronze trophy Tyssen's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by r937 View Post
    without that, you have to maintain the hundreds of different pages as separate pages
    It will depend how many pages your site has. If it's only a handful then linking everything up to a database probably wouldn't be worth the effort. If, however, you want clients to be able to update the site themselves using a CMS, then in most cases you will need to use a database.