SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Basically what i am referring to is something like this suppose i want to have a discussion forum on my site do i grab a copy of a free discussion board script, or a professional script like on sitepoint

Or i go for a hostd discussion board like coolboard where i do not have to worry about the programming etc
    The things are reasonably customisable

This question holds true for all the things that we do with scripts like Search , form to mail , chat etc.

I personally feel hosted scripts are economical and good .No hasseles of installation, configuration , upgradation & maintanence

How do the others feel about it

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The bulletin board at Site Point is a free script for the most part. It's available at www.ultimatebb.com. If you buy the professional version, like SitePoint, you get more options and customization available.

As far as one vs. the other, it depends. If your client has a small budget and isn't worried about the specifics, CoolBoard will probably work. If they want a professional board customized to match their site and have the budget, you want to buy a higher-end version.

IMHO,
    Westmich

SitePoint Wizard
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Actually as far as I know Sitepoint paid UBB to get this...it wasn't free.

There are plenty of free 'n good bulletin boards on the Internet. Check BigTalker ( http://www.bigtalker.com/ ), ASP forums (find at http://aspin.com), or elsewhere.

If you're going for the pro look, you should get paid scripts on your site; if not then CoolBoard and hosted perl is good.

------------------
    Who the heck is Gen. Failure and why does he want to read my hard drive?
    Soon to come: Aspology.com

Your Lord and Master, Foamy gold trophy Hierophant's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I personally dislike Hosted scripts. It requires one more party to be involved and one more terms of service. In my opinion any professional site should host all their scripts and components on their server whether they own it or are renting space from a third party.

------------------
    Wayne Luke - Sitepoint Moderator/Internet Media Developer
    Digital Magician Studios - Making Magic with Web Applications
    wluke@digitalmagician.com

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Application service providers is te next hot thing on the web

Isint it more smart to go in for a professionaly hosted script .U may even pay for a very good service . Rather then install one at your site .
    After all if you go to install a search engine like ants on your site you would go mad & waste a hell of a lot of money getting it up & running
    At the same time ants is offering a world class service that can be installed in less than 10 minutes

I do not understand everybodys reluctance for hosted scripts

Freelance Web Designer KeithMcL's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Like everything on the web, there are pros and cons to everything.

A pro for hosted scripts is that you dont have to set them up or edit them

A con is that your not learning anything about the script and the way it works (Knowlege is power). You also don't have complete admin rights over the hosted scripts. If the hosting party has any server problems you cant do much about it but if you have your own server space and are paying for that service, you can complain.

IMHO hosting your own scripts is better, but some hosted scripts are good.

------------------
    Soon to come,
    webmasterswork.com