SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Results 1 to 14 of 14
  1. #1
    SitePoint Zealot
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    East Midlands, United Kingdom
    Posts
    103
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Smile Accessibility validator,

    Hi there,

    I get confused with the WC3 rules on accessibilty, personally I dont think they as are clear as they could be.

    Is there a accessibility validator that goes through your website, just like the HTML and CSS validators?

    Many Thanks

  2. #2
    In memoriam gold trophysilver trophybronze trophy Dan Schulz's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Aurora, Illinois
    Posts
    15,478
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nope. Accessibility and usability are things that are best done (or validated) by actually sitting people in front of a computer and watching what they do without saying a thing. The accessibility checkers that used to be free were good to check against the guidelines before conducting the live user testing, but they were never designed to "validate" that a site was/is accessible.

  3. #3
    SitePoint Author silver trophybronze trophy

    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Ankh-Morpork
    Posts
    12,158
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Let me take this opportunity to once again repeat my favourite quote about accessibility 'validators':
    The markup validator checks that the page can be read correctly by a program. For this purpose, another program is always best. Accessibility is about the user's ability to use the page, which is best checked by another human.

    — Christian Ankerstjerne
    Birnam wood is come to Dunsinane

  4. #4
    SitePoint Enthusiast adrian rayfield's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    28
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Schulz View Post
    Nope. Accessibility and usability are things that are best done (or validated) by actually sitting people in front of a computer and watching what they do without saying a thing. The accessibility checkers that used to be free were good to check against the guidelines before conducting the live user testing, but they were never designed to "validate" that a site was/is accessible.
    I would agree with you Dan.

    Turbonostics, they aren't 'rules' as such but guidelines and many area's cannot be tested via a validator as they need human judgement, such as alt tags, color etc.

  5. #5
    In memoriam gold trophysilver trophybronze trophy Dan Schulz's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Aurora, Illinois
    Posts
    15,478
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    (There is no such thing as an alt tag, but there is an alt attribute. )

  6. #6
    SitePoint Enthusiast adrian rayfield's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    28
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Schulz View Post
    (There is no such thing as an alt tag, but there is an alt attribute. )
    LOL Fair point

  7. #7
    In memoriam gold trophysilver trophybronze trophy Dan Schulz's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Aurora, Illinois
    Posts
    15,478
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Better to hear it from me than Tommy.

  8. #8
    SitePoint Wizard bronze trophy DaveWoods's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Derbyshire - UK
    Posts
    2,651
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I completely agree with everything that's been said but there are a few tools that you can use as an initial step to check that the fundamental basics for accessibility are in place.

    http://www.cynthiasays.com/

    By no means should you run that test and assume that your site is accessible but it does serve as a useful starting point.

    There's also other tests that you can use such as the colour contrast extension for firefox

    http://juicystudio.com/article/colou...-extension.php

    But as others have pointed out, accessibility is such a subjective area that the best method of testing is for users to actually take part in accessibility testing. No machine can test whether font sizes are too small and can be resized, whether dyslexic people can read your content or whether a blind person will be able to understand and navigate your site.

  9. #9
    SitePoint Member
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Indonesia
    Posts
    19
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by csswiz View Post
    I completely agree with everything that's been said but there are a few tools that you can use as an initial step to check that the fundamental basics for accessibility are in place.

    http://www.cynthiasays.com/
    I guess cynthiasays.com is not valid anymore for WAI test, but still good enough to check 508

    another tool (better description in result) is http://checker.atrc.utoronto.ca/, based on WCAG 2.0 Level 2 (AA)

  10. #10
    SitePoint Member
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Indonesia
    Posts
    19
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by daniiswara View Post
    I guess cynthiasays.com is not valid anymore for WAI test, but still good enough to check 508
    sorry..I guess WAI test by cynthiasays.com is valid right now

  11. #11
    Non-Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    United Kingdom
    Posts
    623
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    http://www.erigami.com/ is pretty good too.

    ro0bear

  12. #12
    SitePoint Member
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Indonesia
    Posts
    19
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    using ATRC Web Checker, we can select some guidelines:
    • BITV 1.0 (Germany standard)

    • Section 508 (USA)

    • Stanca Act (Italy)

    • WCAG 2.0 L3


    http://checker.atrc.utoronto.ca/servlet/ChangeGuideline

  13. #13
    SitePoint Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    18
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There's actually a list of "online web accessibility evaluators/validators" within the stuck thread at the top of the forum labelled All You Need For Accessibility - Tutorials, Tools, Books, Validators, etc. Quite a wealth of information and tools there for you, whether you want to use a validator, or just learn more in depth about accessibility guidelines
    HTML, CSS, JavaScript, jQuery, Ajax, Python, PHP, MySQL, C#, Java

  14. #14
    SitePoint Member
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Indonesia
    Posts
    19
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ericahex View Post
    There's actually a list of "online web accessibility evaluators/validators" within the stuck thread at the top of the forum labelled All You Need For Accessibility - Tutorials, Tools, Books, Validators, etc. Quite a wealth of information and tools there for you, whether you want to use a validator, or just learn more in depth about accessibility guidelines
    yup thanks..http://aprompt.snow.utoronto.ca/ refer to http://checker.atrc.utoronto.ca/

    [close]


Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •