This is probably beyond the scope of these forums but I would like to hear your opinions.

I am currently on a project team developing an N-Tier application. This will be TCP/IP based. We are currently in the design phase. Here are some specifications:
<UL TYPE=SQUARE>
<LI>The overall system is an emergency response system for Armed Security Patrol.
<LI>The data warehouse will be using an Oracle 8 Database. The data machine is an IBM RS-6000 with 16 processors, 6 gigabytes of RAM and about 300 gigabytes of storage. The OS is AIX.
<LI>Communications Server will be running Oracle 8 under Windows NT 4.0.
<LI>Mobile Data terminals are 486 SLX/66 MHZ with 64 megs of RAM, 1.5 gig harddrives, 9600 baud radio modems. The OS is Windows 95.
</UL>

No new hardware will be purchased except the modems may be upgraded to 19,200 baud (maximum rate offered by Bellsouth, AT&T and Sprint for Radio Data communications), but that might prove impractical to the budget. Operating systems are written in stone, no changes will be made. The system will be nationwide.

Now here is the question what do you think the best way would be to transmit data between the Mobile Data Terminals and the Communications Server?

Current the system uses Bellsouth Wireless and a communications server called Keyware. Average message duration is between 1 and 3 minutes now. We want that down to 10-20 seconds.

I am thinking that we should use a thin client that is self-updating and downloads components the first time they are needed and using a form of Instant Messaging for the radio traffic. What are your ideas?

------------------
Wayne Luke - Sitepoint Moderator/Internet Media Developer
Digital Magician Studios - Making Magic with Web Applications
wluke@digitalmagician.com