Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

which do you prefer? ASP.Net or PHP?

Hi..

as in your experience, which do you prefer? ASP.Net or PHP?
    which is easy?

what are the features in asp.net that are not in PHP?
    and
    features in PHP that are not in ASP.net?
    soberpacificliving - Orange County Sober Living Home Residence.

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ASP .NET is lightyears ahead of PHP.

FACT.
    Web Application Development & Maintenance

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Being a PHP developer, I think PHP is a clear winner (bais opinion).
    I think the biggest plus is, its all free!
    I am currently doing an ASP.net project, and it seems the learning curve for ASP is a little harder. I found it a lot harder to create a simple page, with a tab menu, and have each tab selected when you on that page. I will say thought there are some nifty features in .NET though. Im having some writers block and cant think of any right now...
    The other down side with ASP, is you locked into Microsoft hosting packages, servers etc...
    Guess this isnt a great explination, but a start
    Cheers

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've developed both and the only reason I could see to ever use PHP again would be in a scenario where I wanted to squeeze many sites onto a single hosting plan. I have some sites that are completely static and have little traffic; these sites are on a single hosting plan for $5 per month and I can host as many as 50 sites in a single hosting plan as long as I don't exceed my space and bandwidth limits. With .net plans its much more difficult to squeeze multiple sites onto a single plan without paying a premium. Still, it may be worth the extra expense on the chance that the sites would expand in the future.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, it can appear to be a very long thread, there were many of thems on this topic.

However, there are some exact questions to be answered.

which is easy?
    PHP is definetely easier because you just have to learn the language and its function libraries, while with ASP.NET, you have to learn the language first (C# or VB), ASP.NET architecture, its libraries, controls...

what are the features in asp.net that are not in PHP?
    • Strong types language
    • It's compiled
    • .NET framework with its cool features that don't present in PHP
    • LINQ
    • Web services
    • Caching
    By the way, ASP.NET is also free, you can download Visual Web Developer Express and C# Express are both free, you can use 3-rd party tools as well.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    .NET abstracts a bit of the html/css for you and for a code monkey this could be advantageous as you could rely heavily on control properties. I really liked PHP because it allowed me to control every aspect of the generated html which meant I could easily apply my css styles.

Now that I've been working with .net for awhile I've found ways to do the same thing (control my html), but routinely have to analyze generated html output and apply my styles accordingly. Still, the gain in production when using .NET far outweighs PHP and the loss of control is well worth it. I've never used any of the PHP frameworks, but I can't imagine that they can stand up to .NET, especially when it comes to things like membership (out of the box) and master pages.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    pinch,

If you want to control the HTML code you get, you should definitely try ASP.NET MVC Framework that is also made by Microsoft, it's still better however, but you can find it useful anyway.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've used both PHP and ASP.NET for years - I love the power of ASP.NET but you can't beat the ease and simplicity of PHP. I usually tell clients if you want a more commercial and powerful platform, go with .NET. If you want it done quick and cheap, program it in PHP. Simple answer, but it applies most of the time.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    the day .net stops acting like java, opens up its source to be *nix hosted, and overall WORKS, I might give it a try...

Until then, this guy is sticking with php (occasionally making a php page with a .aspx extention since it is somewhat revered by those with deep pockets)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Anthony_c View Post
    the day .net stops acting like java, opens up its source to be *nix hosted, and overall WORKS, I might give it a try...

Until then, this guy is sticking with php (occasionally making a php page with a .aspx extention since it is somewhat revered by those with deep pockets)
    First of all, why should it be avaliable on the *nix hosting? Windows Server is getting more and more popular and a cheaper web hosting platform, Windows Server 2008 will even make it stronger on the market.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by eron19 View Post
    ASP .NET is lightyears ahead of PHP.

FACT.
    well people say so....but .net has not been able to prove its aheadness for larger section of people...or the developers....
    (see the php websites and .net websites...)

so it has been big but i agree..but non of common use...It has been useful for corporate use only or some code greeks who defines rules themselves and understands themselves...

i have scripted php for 2 years now and starting to compile .net from around 15-20 days now .I read around 5 books(including sitepoint's .net book).
    From that ,what i can say .net lacks compared to php are

flexibility:compared to php...flexibilty of .net is very poor...a programmer who has done php can work around..invent ways playing with code....but .net seems too strict and very hard to invent work around(tweak)...
    things can be done when the engineers from microsoft gives lots of hints and shows how to do things actually
    Too many things but at end nothing:They try to lure programmers...datalist,gridview,details view and so on...it seems that the website seems could be made with out single line of real coding...but at end they say ..."IT IS NOT PROFESSIONAL AND IS NOT SUITABLE FOR REAL TIME APPLICATION"...........feels like they have given these controls and features just to play around and be happy(or to make php programmer fool...say .net is easier) ......and only greeks knows how to make real system....
    even after making an application learner dont have clue either he know .net or not

TOO MANY CONTROLS FOR SAME THING: They are trying to be comprehensive..but rather than making one thing for comprehensive task which is able to do all task..they are inventing new concept for each task...
    gridview,dataview,deatilsview,repeater....at the end of the day they tend to retrieve data with some differences...

it seems they have been learing themselves and experimenting...

they say in classic asp these things were not there..now it is there....now with .net 3.5 ....in next version ..inventor might have to say...in 3.5 this thing was very poor...and it has been amended...(many such things)

LOW RESOURCES ON NET
    search for php+mysql tutorials ,resources or php application compared to asp.net+sql server templates tutorials..and feel the difference
    i was not able to find many sites which provides total tutorials to make a webapplications...

VARYING STANDARD5 Book i read there were 5 ways of coding....some uses classes total...some uses stored procedure only...for same task different tasks...it confuses things only

Linux server(general) does not support it.After making some apps now i need to search for new .net windows hoster..though i have tons of space available in my linux server...(this can be factor as well)

well I AM NOT AGAINST .NET OR ANYTHING .I myself has been learning dot net by hard now...
    but some features which i thought were not right...

i am not any php supporter but at the end of the day windows programmers should agree that asp was flop and now microsoft is trying to save things or retain marketing combining all its effort against competitors...C# may be bcoz of java and VB for may be php

and i think one should consider the size of team and money that are behine php and behind .net before comparing

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by frank1 View Post
    well people say so....but .net has not been able to prove its aheadness for larger section of people...or the developers....

so it has been big but i agree..but non of common use...It has been useful for corporate use only or some code greeks who defines rules themselves and understands themselves...

i have scripted php for 2 years now and starting to compile .net from around 15-20 days now .I read around 5 books(including sitepoint's .net book).

flexibility:compared to php...flexibilty of .net is very poor...a programmer who has done php can work around..invent ways playing with code....but .net seems too strict and very hard to invent work around(tweak)...
    things can be done when the engineers from microsoft gives lots of hints and shows how to do things actually
    Too many things but at end nothing:They try to lure programmers...datalist,gridview,details view and so on...it seems that the website seems could be made with out single line of real coding...but at end they say ..."IT IS NOT PROFESSIONAL AND IS NOT SUITABLE FOR REAL TIME APPLICATION"...........feels like they have given these controls and features just to play around and be happy(or to make php programmer fool...say .net is easier) ......and only greeks knows how to make real system....
    even after making an application learner dont have clue either he know .net or not

TOO MANY CONTROLS FOR SAME THING: They are trying to be comprehensive..but rather than making one thing for comprehensive task which is able to do all task..they are inventing new concept for each task...
    gridview,dataview,deatilsview,repeater....at the end of the day they tend to retrieve data with some differences...

they say in classic asp these things were not there..now it is there....now with .net 3.5 ....in next version ..inventor might have to say...in 3.5 this thing was very poor...and it has been amended...(many such things)

LOW RESOURCES ON NET
    search for php+mysql tutorials ,resources or php application compared to asp.net+sql server templates tutorials..and feel the difference
    i was not able to find many sites which provides total tutorials to make a webapplications...

VARYING STANDARD5 Book i read there were 5 ways of coding....some uses classes total...some uses stored procedure only...for same task different tasks...it confuses things only

Linux server(general) does not support it.After making some apps now i need to search for new .net windows hoster..though i have tons of space available in my linux server...(this can be factor as well)

well I AM NOT AGAINST .NET OR ANYTHING .I myself has been learning dot net by hard now...

i am not any php supporter but at the end of the day windows programmers should agree that asp was flop and now microsoft is trying to save things or retain marketing combining all its effort against competitors...C# may be bcoz of java and VB for may be php

and i think one should consider the size of team and money that are behine php and behind .net before comparing
    Wrong on all accounts.

LOL.

.net is extremely flexible. AS FLEXIBLE AS PHP. .net doent confine you to anything. if you want to reinvent the wheel....then by all means.....go head. .net allows you to do whatever you want. hell.....if you want to program in unmanaged code......then go head!

to many things that end nowhere? i agree, but you are still wrong(LOL). i think the .net framework is wayyy big! if you are a amatuer developer, this might confuse you. .net does overkill IMO.....but i guess thats just m$ trying to stay ahead of the game. personally....i never use those new controls. i sticks with the repeater. thats all i need. i use it for everything. its lightweight and the most flexible. and then....if i need something quick and dirty.....theres the gridview. and actually....each control does have its pros and cons. they accomplish the same thing yes......but its all about being seasoned and choosing the right control for the job. if you gotta be quick and ajaxy.....then use the gridview. simple.

low resources on .net? LOL...wrong again. wrong as hell to be frank. you just must have .net confused with coldfusion. i think you dont know what to search for when looking for resources. give me somethign to search for...ill bring you back some links of info.

varying standards? ...eh. see. this just is separating the amateurs from the pros. you got to know whats best for the job.

.net is lightyears ahead of php. and once php starts supporting the .net clr....youll be able to program .net in php.

so i mean...youre just wrong on all accounts. lolz

and you wanna nikow whats really confusing.................php and thigns like....strlen and str_len.....lmbao. what the heck is that? thats deliberate confusion....and one reason i hate php. i mean i dont hate php...but one reason i deal w/.net.

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Right. I hope you're not holding your breath for that. What do you mean by "overall WORKS"?

You can't be serious. Are you creating pages on your site with an .aspx extension or developing applications requested in ASP.NET, but creating them in PHP with an .aspx extension? If it's the second option, then good luck with that and the lawsuits that follow.

so it has been big but i agree..but non of common use...It has been useful for corporate use only
    I don't buy that. It's not .NET; it's Microsoft. Even it MS added features PHP people requested and moved it to open source, those same people still wouldn't bite. Why? Because it's Microsoft. PHP may be used in a lot of public websites, but what you're missing are the applications inside companies. Saying that it hasn't proved itself isn't accurate.

or some code greeks who defines rules themselves and understands themselves...
    What?

I wouldn't say 15 days is a good amount of time to make a judgment call.

Like what?

It's called options. If you want to use them, use them. If you don't, don't. If you take an application that was generated by Visual Studio into some companies, the other developers will scream at you. The reasons are obvious. If you're writing some one-off application, then it's fine. But, if you're writing an application that will be somewhat decent in size and will have to be maintained over a length of time, then it's not recommended.

They're not trying to "trick you". They weren't sitting in their offices saying "Oh, you know. We can add all this drag-and-drop stuff and trick those ignorant PHP programmers. That will get them." No, that's not happening.

Again, it's about options. There's not just some differences between all of them. There are quite a few big differences. Also, dataview isn't a control.

What? I'm confused.

LOW RESOURCES ON NET
    Sure, I'll buy that there may not be as many tutorials. What I won't buy is the fact that you weren't able to find many. IMO, you didn't search very well. You should be looking on sourceforge.

The way you design classes has nothing to do with ASP.NET or .net. That's just general class design. Also, stored procedure use is a personal thing. That's also not really related to ASP.NET. If you want to use stored procedures, fine. If not, that's fine too. IMO, you should be using an ORM anyway.

Honestly, you really came off like you are against .NET. Some of your arguments were pretty weak and extremely vague.

now microsoft is trying to save things or retain marketing combining all its effort against competitors...C# may be bcoz of java and VB for may be php
    Well, yeah. That's what happens in a business. You try to gain ground on your competition. ASP classic was old and they needed to create something to kickstart some server sales.

I'm not going to argue the C# part, but VB has been around for a long time and VB.NET was not created for PHP. No way.
    Shane Bauer
    .NET and Ruby on Rails

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    try asp. net if you're good at html codes.

Programming Since 1978 silver trophybronze trophy felgall's Avatar
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I prefer PHP because:

1. I know PHP but don't know .NET and
    2. I have computers set up to run PHP but I don't have one configured to run .NET and no plans to use up a significant fraction of the spare space on the drive by installing it.

The two are roughly equivalent in what they can and can't do so there is no real benefit in my changing over. Those who say one or the other is better are usually comparing the latest version of one to an antiquated version of the other. Also a more direct comparison would be between a language that runs on .NET with PHP rather than .NET itself since PGP is a language that runs on a number of different environments including PHP.NET
    Stephen J Chapman

javascriptexample.net, Book Reviews, follow me on Twitter
    HTML Help, CSS Help, JavaScript Help, PHP/mySQL Help, blog
    <input name="html5" type="text" required pattern="^$">

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I prefer .net although I have much more experience in php. While php seems easier, God forbid to need some functionality that isn't part of php or your favourite framework. You can argue that you can have the same problem on .net too, but no php framework at the date is as complete (and complex) as .Net. So you have much better chances to find something already available in the default framework.

Then, I like C# more than php and the fact that .net somehow makes you more organized. It's very easy to hack some code together in php while on .Net, in my opinion, it's harder. On the other hand I feel it's easier on .Net to develop a better designed application.

The only thing though that plagues asp.net is that damn form. Yes you can forget about it but you can't use the nice things without some hacking. And Asp.Net MVC isn't released yet.

Programming Since 1978 silver trophybronze trophy felgall's Avatar
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    If you think .net makes things more organised then why don't you use that platform for coding your PHP? .NET supports a lot of different programming languages and I am sure PHP is one of those it supports.

This entire question is asking the equivalent of which is better between oranges and fruit baskets and while you can put apples(JScript), bananas(vbScript) and pears(C#) etc in your .NET fruit basket you can also put oranges(php) there too.
    Stephen J Chapman

javascriptexample.net, Book Reviews, follow me on Twitter
    HTML Help, CSS Help, JavaScript Help, PHP/mySQL Help, blog
    <input name="html5" type="text" required pattern="^$">

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I like c# more and in the end even php.net needs the clr to function.

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by praetor View Post
    The only thing though that plagues asp.net is that damn form. Yes you can forget about it but you can't use the nice things without some hacking. And Asp.Net MVC isn't released yet.
    What nice things w/o some hacking???

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    hard to say...i think .net tech is more convinent...but one the other hand since its developed by MS...it always have capablitlity issues...

SitePoint Evangelist
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    PHP is comparable to classic ASP, but ASP.NET is way better than both. I actually use all 3 so I'm talking from experince here.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What nice things w/o some hacking???
    For example, I want 2 forms in my page both have server controls but one points to another page. Further more I call another page via ajax that also contains a form and I want to submit that form via ajax.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No arguement or any thing but .....some of my points

Wrong on all accounts.

LOL.

.net is extremely flexible. AS FLEXIBLE AS PHP. .net doent confine you to anything. if you want to reinvent the wheel....then by all means.....go head. .net allows you to do whatever you want. hell.....if you want to program in unmanaged code......then go head!
    i am saying compared to php....and most of people say php is much flexible than asp.net

to many things that end nowhere? i agree, but you are still wrong(LOL). i think the .net framework is wayyy big! if you are a amatuer developer, this might confuse you. .net does overkill IMO.....but i guess thats just m$ trying to stay ahead of the game. personally....i never use those new controls. i sticks with the repeater. thats all i need. i use it for everything. its lightweight and the most flexible. and then....if i need something quick and dirty.....theres the gridview. and actually....each control does have its pros and cons. they accomplish the same thing yes......but its all about being seasoned and choosing the right control for the job. if you gotta be quick and ajaxy.....then use the gridview. simple.
    they say based on performance and scale and in many case it is hard to quantify...and my point is not that it is bad....but why do you need so many things for same thing to make confusion

low resources on .net? LOL...wrong again. wrong as hell to be frank. you just must have .net confused with coldfusion. i think you dont know what to search for when looking for resources. give me somethign to search for...ill bring you back some links of info.
    well i am saying in compared to php..........and every body know(or if u dont agree then god knows)...there is more resources,scripts,system,ready help for php for .net

varying standards? ...eh. see. this just is separating the amateurs from the pros. you got to know whats best for the job..
    yes and all say what they do is the best and for learner like me ..after making or reading one way to make a web application when i go to read another tutorials ...we feel as if we know only basic .net only....
    so varying standard is confusing

.net is lightyears ahead of php. and once php starts supporting the .net clr....youll be able to program .net in php.

so i mean...youre just wrong on all accounts. lolz ..
    not for all...may be for windows programmers like you it make be light year ahead but for most it has not given that feeling

i dont disagree may be .net is more powerful then php...but power which is not required (can be done in easier way)...which is complicated...which is of no use for most ...is eventually not good

and you wanna nikow whats really confusing.................php and thigns like....strlen and str_len.....lmbao. what the heck is that? thats deliberate confusion....and one reason i hate php. i mean i dont hate php...but one reason i deal w/.net.
    that is what i can flexibility sometime...suppose we need only part of news to display in homepage...
    in php we have one query...and then use those string function to manipulate all around...
    but in .net as a begineer they say to make new datasource or even class or procedure...write new query just for that
    suppose
    one query to get all
    one query to get first 5 words and so on

any way as i say .net may be powerful but php is famous and people prefer it so do i

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    could somebody provide me some links to tutorials to make web applications
    ...tutorials like this http://www.beansoftware.com/ASP.NET-...ure-Album.aspx (not to make picture gallery but for others...)

video will be great...

thanks

SitePoint Wizard
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    could somebody provide me some links to tutorials to make web applications
    ...tutorials like this http://www.beansoftware.com/ASP.NET-...ure-Album.aspx (not to make picture gallery but for others...)

video will be great...

thanks
    start at

http://asp.net/learn