User Tag List

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Cross site / platform authentication

Hi all,

I'm building a mini-site in PHP/MySQL, where the main site was built in C#/MSSQL (this split of platforms is fixed, for a number of reasons). The existing (main) site has a few thousand users, and the mini-site needs to authenticate using the same combinations of usernames and passwords.

As I see it, there are two options: replicate the users table from the MSSQL database, or authenticate against the MSSQL database. In both cases I envisage a new user having to go to the main site to sign up.

The main problem I can see with replication is the potential delay ; but authenticating against the MSSQL server and then doing everything else separately with the MySQL server doesn't feel like a very good solution (potential security issues, unnecessary complexity, ?).

I've never had to do this before, so I don't know what the main pitfalls might be. Any advice appreciated.

Thanks

SitePoint Wizard silver trophy kyberfabrikken's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you have access to the main site, you could write a simple web-service, that takes the md5 sum of user-name + password, and returns true or false. Then use this interface from the mini-site, to authenticate users.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks kyberfabrikken. I suppose the main thing that had been putting me off something like that was the security aspect, but I see how you deal with that.

Thanks again

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Can you connect to the MSSQL database from your PHP website?
    Garcia

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes, I think you're best off using WebServices in this case. This kind of thing is exactly what they are designed for.