User Tag List

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Installation of DBD:Mysql not working

Hi,

I'm trying to install the DBD:Mysql perl module, but am completely lost as to why it doesn't seem to be working.

I'm trying to install the binary version 4.007 on Windows XP and have AcivePerl 5.10.0.1002 installed and MySql version 5.0.45.

I've followed the instructions in the readme file and have typed the following into a Windows command prompt:

Code:
    ppm install DBI
    ppm install DBD::mysql
    They both seemed to work perfectly, as the messages showed that they both downloaded the files from the activestate website, unpacked and installed them all fine.

However, when I try to use a perl application that I have used for years with no problem I get the following messages:

Code:
    Perl module DBD::mysql is not installed.

All Perl modules are available free from CPAN.ORG. Root access to the server is required to install them. Contact your host for advice.

** Halted **
    Could anyone tell me what I could be doing wrong that would cause the module not to work, when all the messages indicate that DBD:MySql was installed without any problems?

Debbie
    QuicknEasySalesPro.com
    - your quick and easy, yet powerful solution for managing your
    membership site sales, downloads and affiliates.

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi,

Here's the solution I was given on another forum.

Whatever I tried, the DBD:Mysql package wouldn't appear in the ppm list, so I was told to go straight to the repository using this command:

ppm install http://cpan.uwinnipeg.ca/PPMPackages/10xx/DBD-mysql.ppd

It worked perfectly and everything else just started working too.

I hope this helps anyone else who may have this problem too.

Debbie
    QuicknEasySalesPro.com
    - your quick and easy, yet powerful solution for managing your
    membership site sales, downloads and affiliates.

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    activestate perl is fine if you are stuck and can't run on a linux/unix system, sometimes useful for local development but it can be frustrating getting modules to work. perl is native to linux and performs best on this platform
    if you have an old pc lying around decommisioned it would make for an ideal development platform, just install linux and hook it up to the network