SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    While captchas are getting more complex, captcha breaking software is evolving at the same time, but not humanbeings. One day we all will need captcha breakers to enter those sites

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    rapidshare do it deliberately to piss people off into buying their crappy accounts!

they could have easily added recaptcha which is easier to read and more accessible and hasn't been broken

SitePoint Wizard
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by php_daemon View Post
    Regarding the math problem captcha, considering what kind of site it is, you probably not wanna join anyway if you're not able to solve a simple 6th grade level math problem.
    You either went to Kindergarten schools for genious kids or you didn't refresh the page enough times to get a difficult enough question
    "Am I the only one doing ASP.NET in Delphi(Pascal)?"

HAHA!
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I can solve it the first time round but it's still damn hard and you need to stare at the screen close up to distinguish between the frickin dog's tail and the cat. This captcha sucks but I think it accomplishes it's intended purpose.
    Cheap web hosting directory listing the cheapest web hosting

Submit articles to an article directory

✯✯✯ silver trophybronze trophy php_daemon's Avatar
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by webnoob View Post
    You either went to Kindergarten schools for genious kids or you didn't refresh the page enough times to get a difficult enough question
    I've refreshed it enough times to find 3 different types of math problems - any of them your common 6th grader would solve. And I went to a normal public school and I didn't even do exceptionally well. BTW, if you refresh it enough times, you can get one of "4+3-1" type. I just have to hope that doesn't require one to attend Kindergarten school for genious kids. Come on now!
    Saul

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wow, thank god I use a premium rapidshare account. No annoying captchas. Here are some more:

Good luck getting those right!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Here's another RapidShare capture from Reddit:

SUPPORT FOR NEW BLOGGERS - TRY THE Blogging Forum

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    excuse me for asking but what is Rapidshare ? :-)

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MajorTom View Post
    the worlds biggest illegal warez/pron hosting site

alexa #11

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    wow there are some really nice CAPTCHAs, hahah

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MajorTom View Post
    File sharing service.
    Saul

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've beend downloading from rapidshare and had no problems with this particular type of captchas. Can you not tell a difference between a dog and a cat?
    So if they're working for you they should work for everyone else? Maybe you've got sharp eyes but most people don't. Even if someone is not visually impaired he or she will most probably experience some sort of low vision difficulties due to different browsing factors, e.g. badly set screen colors, big screen resolutions, bad room lightening, etc. And if everyone can recognize their dogs and cats just as easily, then they wouldn't have put them in the first place. Sometimes, there's no actual way to recognize some characters and you have to guess it. For example, "I" which is capital i and "l" which is small L are exactly the same. You have to pick up one choice and see if it works or not. (more info)

I'm quite sure that much more people are having problems with Rapidshare's CAPTCHAs than you think.

Well, and what would you do if you were them? Make it as easy as possible for all to suck your resources for free?
    Why not? They do have a business model, don't they? If they can't figure out a way to convert nonpaying users into premium members other than using those insane CAPTCHAs then they're already digging their own grave. Free file hosting services are spreading like fire over the Internet and people will eventually switch over to services that don't frustrate them with such impossible CAPTCHAs.

Also, trying to control their resources by putting the effort on the user is not only bad but also unethical, because CAPTCHAs are meant to recognize humans not restrict their access to services. They're already using different programming techniques to control the site's traffic and usage; cookies, sessions, IP matching, JavaScript counters, etc. so why not continue developing these techniques to be more effective and efficient?
    Imagination is more important than knowledge. - Einstein

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by simsim View Post
    This is from Rapidshare:

Believe it or not, I've been trying to download a file, and have failed for 5 consecutive times because of these insane CAPTCHAs!

I think it was very much intended to be like that, to lower the stress on their servers. If you're downloading a file of say, 100MB, their system lets you wait 3 minutes (through a counter) before letting you download it. Since I've failed for 5 times, this is 15 minutes more relief to their servers. Multiply that by thousands or hundreds of thousands of requests (rapidshare.com ranked #12 in Alexa) and it would make a huge difference to their servers.
    This is terrible...

SitePoint Wizard
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've refreshed it enough times to find 3 different types of math problems - any of them your common 6th grader would solve. And I went to a normal public school and I didn't even do exceptionally well. BTW, if you refresh it enough times, you can get one of "4+3-1" type. I just have to hope that doesn't require one to attend Kindergarten school for genious kids. Come on now!

If you look at the post by Zeldaze you will see one of the maths questions I got, now I am not that great at maths but surely that is a little above 6th grade ... BTW, Im from the UK so which year would classify as 6th grade, lol?

p.s I meant the first post as a joke so take no offence by it
    "Am I the only one doing ASP.NET in Delphi(Pascal)?"

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    But seriously, look at what site it is, I think such a captcha is more than reasonable in this case. What's the big deal? My point is that any average user of that particular site can solve any of those. Heck, even I can solve it with a bit of effort (at least I know how to). The exact grade/year doesn't really matter, the point is that any high school graduate should be able to answer such a question. And seeing the site must have a very scientific audience, it only makes sense. It's a good test too, shows who needs to go back to school

And yes, I detected the humour behind your post.

Off Topic:

BTW, how you've been doing? Last time I saw you, you were in a new job, that was ages ago.
    Saul

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MadMike View Post
    rapidshare makes those ridiculous captchas not for security (although I'm sure thats part of the reason), but to make users sign up for their premium account.
    I think it was done just to get more page impressions. Their pages are loaded with ads, and if they get an average of 3 tries per user to login, this would give them 3,000 page impressions rather then 1,000.

Serial Publisher silver trophy aspen's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    From a site administration standpoint the best thing you can do is something unique. Even if it is simple, if you can do something custom that no one else using your same software uses, then it is far far less likely that automated processes will pick it up.

For instance, customizing the user registration form a bit with vbulletin including some custom "are you human" questions can drastically cut down on spam because your forum does it, but it isn't a vbulletin standard feature, so the spammers who have programs to register at vbulletin sites fail with your site.
    Chris Beasley - I publish content and ecommerce sites.
    Featured Article: Free Comprehensive SEO Guide
    My Guide to Building a Successful Website
    My Blog|My Webmaster Forums

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Makes me headache for a day from the new rapidshare captcha 555555.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by aspen View Post
    From a site administration standpoint the best thing you can do is something unique. Even if it is simple, if you can do something custom that no one else using your same software uses, then it is far far less likely that automated processes will pick it up.

For instance, customizing the user registration form a bit with vbulletin including some custom "are you human" questions can drastically cut down on spam because your forum does it, but it isn't a vbulletin standard feature, so the spammers who have programs to register at vbulletin sites fail with your site.
    I agree. that doesn't mean you can't use popular software - Personally, I like "The Humanizer" mod for phpBB boards, for instance. You just need to change the defaults - For example, ask "Are you a bot?" and have "No" as the right answer... Works great.
    Check out my new vcard at RonnyO.com
    BlinkIP.com - The fastest way to your IP

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    rapishares ! so annoying , it took me ages to understand how those stupid CATCHA with cats and dogs worked
    London IT support & outsourcing Company
    IT support contract estimation

Kimson Solutions : The IT partner for small and medium businesses

SitePoint Wizard
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We never got to partial derivatives in the sixth grade. Lousy Canadian school system.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    lol i agree with madmike - i dont think they care at all about the security, its probably to piss everyone off and force them to upgrade!
    http://www.btarcade.com Paid to Play Games!!!!!!

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Norebbo View Post
    Yeah, that's pretty bad. But as the OP said, I think RapidShare is doing it on purpose.

But at least it's not as bad as this: http://random.irb.hr/signup.php

There's no deformation on it... I wonder how hard it would be to plug that into something like the online integrator and solve it automatically?
    "Never imagine yourself not to be otherwise than what
    it might appear to others that what you were or might
    have been was not otherwise than what you had been
    would have appeared to them to be otherwise."

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jun Valasek View Post
    This is terrible...
    that really is one of the worst that i have ever seen! I DONT SEE ANY CATS!!!! far out, how stupid!
    http://www.btarcade.com Paid to Play Games!!!!!!

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by zeldaze View Post
    Wow, thank god I use a premium rapidshare account. No annoying captchas. Here are some more:

Good luck getting those right!
    those are pretty sick one !!
    London IT support & outsourcing Company
    IT support contract estimation

Kimson Solutions : The IT partner for small and medium businesses