Thread: Going Easy

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Going Easy

Hi there,

I'm just making my way in the web development game - had lots of IT experience though, mostly programming and management.

I'm starting off very small and hope to build from there. Initially I'm offering my services for simple php/Database/Javascript stuff. I've had a couple of jobs already and I'm looking for more.

I know I'm too keen though as on both the jobs I've completed I know I've put in lots of 'free' hours. Reasons for this are twofold (and as old as the hills) - not estimating timescales accurately enough (I know I'll get better with practice) and not nailing down requirements well enough ... again, I'll need to rein in my over-enthusiasm there!

So I think I've been too keen to get (and keep) the clients I already have in order to build a reputation in the area I'm interested in. In future though, I want to actually get paid for more of the hours I put in

Getting to the nub then, anyone know of any free versions of a 'simple' contract between client and contractor ?

and, is it feasible/common/ethical to ask for part-payment up front?

Thanks in advance,
    Mark.

Original Gangster silver trophy Thing's Avatar
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    http://www.docstoc.com is a great site for free legal forms.

I would always run those forms through a lawyer before actually using them though. You can never be too careful!

Word Painter silver trophy Shyflower's Avatar
    Mentioned
    142 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    I found another site that has legal forms, too. It's called findlegalforms.com.

I've also had a look at LegalZoom.com, but I think those forms are too complex, but have a look and see what you think.

Before you use either, I would have an attorney look them over to be sure they say what you need them to say.
    Linda Jenkinson
    "Say what you mean. Mean what you say. But don't say it mean." ~Unknown

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks to you both,

I'll check those sites out.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would ask for at least a third up front, this is totally ethical and standard practice. I would go so far as to say that if your client is not willing to pay you something up front, walk away.
    There are three kinds of men:
    The ones that learn by reading.
    The few who learn by observation.
    The rest of us have to pee on the electric fence.