User Tag List

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Site Value Question

Hi Everyone.

I have been in the website building/IM business for a while, but I am new to selling websites. I have a price in mind of how much I think I could potentially sell one of my sites for, but I would be grateful for any advice on whether you think I am being realistic or not with my selling price?

My site's details can be summarised as follows:

- It is a small, information website in the lucrative 'Pregnancy' niche.
    - It has a smart, clean template design and layout (fully SEO optimized).
    - It has 10 pages of totally unique content offering information and advice on various aspects of pregnancy (each page fully SEO optimized for it's main keyword phrase).
    - It recieves 1000 visitors per month - all organic, free traffic from SE's.
    - It has 300 backlinks to it from various relevent sites/directories within the pregnancy niche.
    - It currently has a Google PR 2.
    - It ranks in the top 10 results in Google for a couple of it's keywords.
    - It currently makes on average $15 per month in adsense revenue.

There is great potential to monetize this site further with related products, extend the adsense revenue further and sell advertising space etc, but I just haven't had the time for it lately and so I have decided to sell it.

Now, I know I haven't provided the link to the site for you to see and I know that a sale depends on the website itself and who's buying it etc - but based on all of the above information alone - do you guys think it is realistic that I could sell this site for $350? Is this too much? or could I get more for it?

Any feedback will be most appreciated

Many thanks,

Steve.

SitePoint Guru
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There is great potential to monetize this site further with related products, extend the adsense revenue further and sell advertising space etc
    Every seller argues that! It's there so much potential then you are best off demonstrating the potential by extracting it yourself. Otherwise sell based on what you have (rather than the multi-million dollar site that every site has the "potential" to become).

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the advice, I will bear that in mind.

Ok, so based on what my site currently has - is the $350 in the right ball park of what this could sell for?

Any advice appreciated.

Cheers,
    Steve.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    basically, I just want to know if a site of this calibur can feasibly sell for $350, or should it sell for more? or less?

Anyones advice welcome.

Steve.

SitePoint Guru
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    StevieJK, most buyers are going to be focusing on the earnings. Should you post an auction they'll calculate that your BIN is over 23 x earnings and publicly comment about over-valuation.

I've owned sites in the pregnancy niche. And you can get double that $15 Adsense eCPM... particularly on fertility related topics and maternity wear. I'd suggest you work to build that income up a bit first.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the advice.

So if I aimed to get my site making $30 per month in revenue, then I could sell the site for around $300 (i.e. for 10x the monthly revenue as a general rule of thumb)?

Steve.

SitePoint Guru
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That "general rule of thumb" is a myth.

I've paid 24x - 36x many, many times. An old, autopilot site with established history of consistent earnings will usually go for a lot more 10x.

SitePoint Wizard bronze trophy hooperman's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Now that's what I call useful information. Thanks for the link FMP

Intoxicated with the madness petertdavis's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think there are a lot of nice factors about your site. Not having seen it personally, I'm just taking your word for it all, but it's a nice topic, organic rankings, adsense earnings are all things that are popular among buyers in the marketplace.

I've seen people in the marketplace too often make mistakes with the BIN. I think you'll do best with a marketplace listing with a very well thought out BIN strategy. I think $350 is a very reasonable price for you to expect. But, I think stretching it a bit with your BIN might get you better results. Try going for approx 36x with your BIN, and see if someone might want to go there to make sure they don't loose out in an auction. You might just find yourself getting a sale within the first few hours of your listing.
    Peter T Davis

I buy forums - PM me if you're selling.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for your advice guys, it has been most appreciated to get some feedback on this.

Peter,
    Thanks for your advice, so you would recommend I put my BIN as $540 (i.e. 36x my adsense monthly earnings), and maybe I would set a minimum bid also?

Also, when you say you have seen people make mistakes with their BIN atrategy - do you mean they set it too high? or too low?

Thanks for any advice you can give.

Steve.