User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Site review please for ecommerce site

Hi guys

Been online with this site for a few months now. It's getting between 60 - 100UVs a day, but sales conversions aren't high enough (nowhere near 1%). Spoke to an SEO company yesterday who said they can see where the faults lie and for 500 will compile a report for us.

So, I thought rather than go straight out and spend that kind of money I'd see what kind of insight I can get here. Please feel free to critique everything, but most importantly would be interested to hear any ideas on why people aren't buying.

Here it is -Bathrooms 4U
    Picture - Image hosting & media sharing

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    it's nice and clean - easy to navigate, and good use of white space.

i don't see anything wrong with it - minus maybe some coding errors. a lot of them have to do with this though - <Actinic:BASEHREF VALUE="http://www.bathrooms4udirect.com/"...

http://validator.w3.org/check?verbos...udirect.com%2F

SitePoint Evangelist happybrian's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nice looking website! Pictures are so important, and the pictures are good. Clear prices, HSBC on there... all looks good to me! I'd buy from you!

From what I know, it even looks quite well optimised!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks guys. I always believed the site layout/design was fine, and the checkout process is quick and easy, so the meagre sales conversions aren't due to that.

Regarding the coding errors (like <Actinic:BASEHREF VALUE="http://www.bathrooms4udirect.com/"...
    ) this is built in to actinic, not something I've broken. I don't want to start messing with it in case I do break it.

The visitors have been increasing each day this week, over a 100 UVs the last few days, most of these coming from Google. If 1&#37; conversion is the norm, we're still nowhere near that

More reviews will be appreciated on this aspect of the site. thanks.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The menu located in top banner is not very good, such as when i visit the webpage http://www.bathrooms4udirect.com/aca...ontact_Us.html, I hope the item "Contact Us" is highlight.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Very nice! I like the way you organized the layout. Everything is so harmoniously combined.

Very well done.
    If you want to do something right, do it yourself!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    In addition to my previous post...

I came across some GUI issues under FF.
    For example page http://www.bathrooms4udirect.com/acatalog/Heating.html - product info is displaced. I checked the design using Internet Explorer and saw no issues.

I have attached a screen shot.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks Paella. I was aware of that issue. Am I right in saying that only happens when you first visit the page? If you click a product then go back all is normal.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by htpc View Post
    Thanks Paella. I was aware of that issue. Am I right in saying that only happens when you first visit the page? If you click a product then go back all is normal.
    Yes, you're right. I revisited the page and it looked good.

whagwan? silver trophybronze trophy akritic's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I think if you are looking to maximise the sales lead potentials for this site you need to consider adding more graphic interest to it. Think about your own behaviour when viewing a website, what things draw your attention and your clicks?.

Graphic banners are great for catching the eye. You can use the to direct the traffic to things like your most popular products, a sale or other special offers.

Another idea is to set up a mailing list, use this for announcing new products - because people may forget to keep coming back to your site.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Had thought about mailing lists, but seeing as most people only buy a bathroom every ten years or so, we wouldn't really be relying on too many returning customers unfortunately. But I guess it helps keep the name in mind so as they may refer the site to friends and family, so may look into that.

As for more graphics, I think the images are good quality and speak for themselves. Up until a few weeks ago we had larger eye-catching banners on the front page and will probably revert back to that next month when we are having a new sale.

Thanks for the reviews so far. Please keep them coming.

SitePoint Enthusiast NowakFilip's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The site is really professional and simple to use.

I personally think you will get successful with it.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Looks good, I don't see anything that stands out as a red flag. You have very nice good pictures on the site. I'd buy from you if there was something I was looking for..
    Regards,
    Brian

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the words of encouragement.

Just been analyzing the bounce rate which is an average 38.92&#37;. Be interested to hear how that compares to other sites. Just read that the average is 30-40%.

SitePoint Enthusiast trishacupra's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, you're getting traffic so I wouldn't waste money on the SEO company right now (the SEO industry has a lot of less-than-honest people in it, to put it nicely). Even if the SEO company was brilliant, there's no point bringing more traffic in if you're not making sales with the traffic you already have.

Who would be your main market? As a woman, I would assume that bathroom decisions are often made by women. But your site's design seemed a bit too cold and masculine compared to the warm and inviting look that would draw me in. Maybe it could use a "woman's touch".

You have opening times, but where are you actually located?

Perhaps you should offer some free information on creating a 'dream bathroom' and offer it as a freebie in exchange for subscribing to your mailing list (which they can opt out of any time). Then you can send a newsletter regularly. By keeping in touch, I think you'd have much more chance of being thought of when it's time to make the buying decision.

The logo in your header could be greatly improved.
    Trisha Cupra, Web Design Watchdog
    Protecting website owners from the most painful online mistakes

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Trisha, we won't be going with the SEO company (or at least not the one who said he could point out the faults for &#163;500). I think you may be right about the site looking rather cold and masculine. Up until a few weeks ago we used a number of banners usually with a woman in the picture, so will probably revert back to that soon. Maybe I need to have a rethink on the colour schemes also.

You have opening times, but where are you actually located?
    You can see our address on the "contact us" page. But will probably do away with the opening times at some point.

Perhaps you should offer some free information on creating a 'dream bathroom' and offer it as a freebie in exchange for subscribing to your mailing list (which they can opt out of any time). Then you can send a newsletter regularly. By keeping in touch, I think you'd have much more chance of being thought of when it's time to make the buying decision.
    We have a news page with rss, and this actually has a higher PR than the index page, not that its getting anymore visitors (substantially less). Email marketing is something I really need to get started on. We are planning on building a plumbers/bathroom installation directory and building backlinks that way.

The logo in your header could be greatly improved.
    Some of the best known stores in this niche - John Lewis, MFI, B&Q - all have very basic logos. In fact, our is quite intricate in comparison. I'd be very interested to hear your ideas on how to improve it.

Many thanks for your input. It's been very helpful.

SitePoint Enthusiast trishacupra's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think your logo in your header would benefit from being more simple. It just doesn't look well-designed compared to B&Q and John Lewis. In your shoes, I'd run a contest at 99designs for ideas.
    Trisha Cupra, Web Design Watchdog
    Protecting website owners from the most painful online mistakes

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Budget's a bit tight, so don't really want to spend money on a logo if I can help it.
    Does anybody else agree with Trisha's comments regarding the header? I'm open to suggestions on how it could be improved.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think the site is well set-up, nice and clean. People looking for these item will convert eventually. Nothing wrong with the site.

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    trisha made some good points about targeting your audience (women). and the logo could be cleaned up, but it's not bad as is.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    To be more appealing for women do you guys think I should change the color scheme, or perhaps just add some graphics that are more feminine?

Really not sure at the moment what to do with the header. I'll have to have a think.

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    it could be as simple as changing the greenish-blue to a pink color. and for the logo, many companies simply rely on a font and color for their logo.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have read the comments about this site and compared your site with B&Q and MFI - I think the layout is well organised and easy to follow - but I think the site is really cold and impersonal and I can't see why iI should by from your site rather than b&Q. I would like your site to tell me why i would benefit from buying from you and that i can trust you.

my suggesetions are -

1. use some warm colours - both B&Q and MFI use splashes of organge - even its if just on the buttons to take you through to the check out.

2. what is your Unique selling point (USP)- I know thats a bit cheesy. But i cant work it out - are you selling luxury? - if so the site dosent really say that are you affordable ? - what do you do that is special - are you selling to trade or DIY ?? do you offer a personal service ? -

3. could you get some case studies of how you have worked with a customer - maybe they where tying to find a particular barthroom suite and your team located it for them - may be some photos of a customer's finished bathroom.

4. who are you - what about on the contact us page a photo of your team inside the shop - a photo of your shop - abit about the team with some snaps some of the things you sell are quite expensive - i would want to see who i was forking out that kind of money to.

5 get a photo of the delivery guy standing next to his van on the deliveies section to much text

any way hope it all helps - don't like the bluey/green
    best
    cat

ps to sitepoint can you ad a spell checker on the reply box

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks Cat, I'm still mulling over the site colous having received similar feedback from others. Interesting how the guys like the colour scheme but not the girls, and I will be talking with the managers here this week about what colours to add/delete or change.

what is your Unique selling point (USP)- I know thats a bit cheesy. But i cant work it out - are you selling luxury? - if so the site dosent really say that are you affordable ? - what do you do that is special - are you selling to trade or DIY ?? do you offer a personal service ? -
    Did you see the text on the home page - Luxury bathrooms, affordable prices

3. could you get some case studies of how you have worked with a customer - maybe they where tying to find a particular barthroom suite and your team located it for them - may be some photos of a customer's finished bathroom.
    We do have some testimonials on the site, and as for doing some case studies we do plan on this and adding it to our "news" page.

who are you - what about on the contact us page a photo of your team inside the shop - a photo of your shop - abit about the team with some snaps some of the things you sell are quite expensive - i would want to see who i was forking out that kind of money to.
    That's a good point, but we are only a small team at the moment, so don't want to come accross as a small outfit. Obviously we would add this once we expand

5 get a photo of the delivery guy standing next to his van on the deliveies section to much text
    Another good idea. I've thought for awhile that the "deliveries" page is lacking something. At the moment we don't deliver ourselves and rely on couriers, so I will have a think about another image to go there. Maybe one of the guys wrapping a pallet.

Your comments were similar to trishacupras, but it's good to get a second opinion, especially from a female perspective.

Many thanks for your input.

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The site looks good

I really could not find anything wrong with your website. The design is great and the navigation is really simple. One reason your conversion rate is lower than you had hoped for could be your pricing. I have no idea how competitive your prices are, but you should know that better than anyone. One thing that you can consider implementing is a live chat window. Some visitors don't like emails because they can, and often do, take a long time to be answered. Others don't like phone calls for fear of being pressured by the salesman on the other end of the line. A live chat program will give them another contact option and will give you an additional tool to gather visitor information as well.

Accept Credit Cards