SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Who does affordable business card duplication?

Who do you go through for business cards?

i ran across a site that said $3.99 for 500 cards or something and then after i uploaded my design, and when through their 15 step order process, they wanted $15 for shipping...

I was like, okay whatever. i'm asking on sitepoint for trusted references.
    Logo Design & Identity Branding Consultant.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    anyone?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Any local print shop should do them for a reasonable rate. Unless you really know your paper types, going to the shop and actually touching the samples can be very important. A flimsy card can make you look cheap. The same goes for ink. Cards printed on an offset (litho) press are somewhat restricted in number of colors (due to cost, not technical issues). However, using spot color, they can reproduce use colors that are much more difficult to accurately recreate using a digital printer. In larger quantities, offset can be much cheaper than digital. Also... because of the way lithography lays down ink, slightly raised lettering is possible--giving the card a much nicer tactile quality.

Digital is great for very colorful cards (full-color/cmyk process) and small runs. They lack the tactile quality but they can reproduce photo-quality images. Because of the nature of the printing process, you rarely get a significant price break for larger print-runs.

Which way you go depends on which qualities are more important to you.

$3.99 for 500 cards? The paper costs more than that. There's no way you'll get a quality product for that price. For business cards you want an 80-lb to 100-lb cover (card) stock (depending on the texture, weave, fiber content, etc.) for a flat-finish or linen. Glossy cards are generally printed on a 10-point, coated one side. When talking about paper weights, be sure that you're discussing cover stock, not text weight--they're very different.

(Sorry for the long-winded response; all those years working in print shops kinda affected my attitude to printed products.)

The bottom line is that a business card isn't just a post-it note with your phone number on it. It's a miniature advertisement--and one that has a factor that few other ads have: tactile quality. A good business card won't automatically win over any clients, but it can reinforce the impression that quality and detail is important to you. A bad business card (cheap, hard to read, ugly, flimsy) is a physical statement that contradicts the sales pitch that says you're detail-oriented, a perfectionist, demand only the best, etc.
    M Blaze Miskulin
    President
    Geek Niche Web Hosting

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've ordered a couple versions of my business cards from Wizard Graphics (www.wgiprint.com). They have very nice quality and decent prices. I originally ordered their standard business cards (4/4) and the last time ordered their recycled business cards (4/4) ... very nice quality. And for $25 for 1,000 it was a good price. They will send you a free sample pack as well if you want to see the quality before you order.
    Kevin Hauge : Modern Leaf Design : Follow Us on Facebook
    Client Axis v.08 - client / project management script

SitePoint Wizard
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've used overnightprints.com on a few occasions and have been pleased with their quality and service - but I'd always recommend choosing a few good prospects and asking for samples before choosing a supplier. Just google "business cards" and you should be able to find a few good prospects to ask for samples.

Steve

SitePoint Wizard silver trophy
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    www.sharpdots.com
    www.postcardpress.com

if you're a design firm you can use www.4over.com (VERY inexpensive, but only for brokers, designers or print shops - it's who we use)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Anyone use Vista Print?
    My buddy swears up and down that they're the shizzle...

thanks for the responses... i am looking for the cheap stuff. quality is not an issue with this project.

SitePoint Wizard
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Devious View Post
    Anyone use Vista Print?

thanks for the responses... i am looking for the cheap stuff. quality is not an issue with this project.
    Havenn't used 'em, but I've seen their samples and they're decent - and they're always emailing offers for all kinds of free stuff. I'd request some samples, get on their mailing list and try 'em out with a small order to see what you think.

Steve

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I do a lot of work with my church, and we use VistaPrint for virtually everything. We have never been dissatisfied, their products are always of good quality and inexpensive.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Devious View Post
    Anyone use Vista Print?
    Used them a few times and they are pretty good. Iused them for business cards and promotional postcards and I was happy with them. Shipping can be high if you need them quick.

Add the items into your cart and then go to leave the site. It usually pops ups with a discount. They also send out loads (as in too many) offer emails which will clog up your inbox but every now and then you'll get a relevant offer.