SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Evangelist
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

A real problem converting to phpBB3 on live server?

Hello... I've already talked to phpBB3 community forums and spoke to the hosting people, but no one seems to be able to help... We have a phpBB2 forum already live and working, but would like to make it phpBB3 now... I have managed to get a second copied database on the server, so its running side by side with the phpBB2 one... I want to convert this newly copied database into phpBB3 so we can get the data across, get it all set up etc. On running the phpBB3 install, everything seemed fine, until I got to converting... As soon as I hit convert, the page went completely blank. No error, no nothing... Just blank.

Has anybody else experienced this at all when trying to convert a phpBB2 forum to a phpBB3 one?

ANY help/info/experience at all would be GREATLY appriciated!
    Thanks, James

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Do you have the PHP error logging on? Check your logs to see if it spat any errors out. What is the file path at the time it breaks?

SitePoint Evangelist
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    <domain name>/phpBB3/install/index.php?mode=convert&sub=in_progress&tag=phpbb20&confirm=1&language=en

SitePoint Evangelist
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Also... turned error reporting to E_ALL and set the timeout to 7200... Still nothing... Just blank...

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If it is a very big database, it is probably timing out during the conversion. Most hosts (assuming shared) limit your script running/processing time to ensure good service for your server-mates. Your best bet is to download a copy of the database locally and install phpbb3 on a local development server. Perform the conversion on your local setup, then upload the newly converted database to your live server. I had to do my conversion this way for a 100MB database.

SitePoint Evangelist
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That does sound right... The database is 120Mb in size! ... Thing is, the hosting is shared and it doesn't allow to create new databases from within phpMyAdmin, and it doesn't allow for copying a database either - though, contacting the hoster, they did set up a new empty database for me (which I want to use for the new phpBB3 install)... What I'm trying to do here is get a copied version of the database that is already there (phpBB2 database) and get that converted live - so there is basically a phpBB2 database and forum live AND a phpBB3 database (with all the data from the 2 in it) along with the forum too... Both on the live server, so the version 3 can be altered messed with and made how it needs to be, before 'flipping the switch'.

Thing is, I couldn't import the phpBB2 data into the new database on the server as the .sql file I had of the version2 database was over 120MB. I tried to ZIP it and upload that, but for some reason the host didn't like that either... The only way I could get the data into the newly created database was that I had to write a script that read the .sql file line by line and just ran a mysql_query on the CREATE TABLE and INSERT INTO sql commands... Though this took quite a long time (about half a hour) it did seem to work... But is it ok to put data into a database like this?

Basically, my point being, you reckon it'll be good then to download the latest phpBB2 databse from the live site, get that into my local development machine, then copy that database, and run the phpBB3 install and convert that database. Once that new phpBB3 database has been converted, export that as a .sql file, upload that file to the live server, run it to populate the empty phpBB3 databse on the live server and then upload the phpBB3 forum folder from my local?

Would that work?

Seriously, any help/info/experience to make this better would be much appriciated!

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by littlejim84 View Post
    Basically, my point being, you reckon it'll be good then to download the latest phpBB2 databse from the live site, get that into my local development machine, then copy that database, and run the phpBB3 install and convert that database. Once that new phpBB3 database has been converted, export that as a .sql file, upload that file to the live server, run it to populate the empty phpBB3 databse on the live server and then upload the phpBB3 forum folder from my local?

Would that work?

Seriously, any help/info/experience to make this better would be much appriciated!
    That is exactly the process I had to use, although, because of the script processing limits, even restoring the .sql file to the new database would time out through phpMyAdmin. What I had to do was upload the .sql file, then submit a support ticket to have the host execute it to update the new database.

SitePoint Evangelist
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good idea... though I did manage to pull it off last night... I just set the set_time_limit(7200) and ran the bugger... Seemed to work and inside phpMyAdmin it seemed to all look ok...

... but is this an ok way of doing things? Should I use my script? Or should let the hosters do it? ... There isn't any difference surely?

So... when I get home... I'll get a copy of the present forum database, put that local, copy that local and give it a new name, then install and convert with phpBB3 all local, then upload the new database .sql, run that, and then upload the new phpBB3 forum folder...

...that should be it, right?

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you can get it to work then there's no harm in trying. If it won't execute for you then your host should be able to assist.