SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am currently learning CGI but I want to make a website in some language besides HTML because it has too many limitations, i see that this site the bulletin board is on is done in PHP i was wondering what the best and easiest one for a website would be ASP or PHP or CGI PLEASE HELP

BTW i have only HTML experience and VERY little CGI exp. I am still learning and I just started CGI 2 and a half weeks ago

Your Lord and Master, Foamy gold trophy Hierophant's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It all depends on what you want to do and how much time you spend learning how to do it. ASP pretty much is limited to NT servers while PHP is pretty much limited to Linux/Unix. What are your resources and abilities?

p.s. CGI (Common Gateway Interface) is a technology that allows you to call programs from your webpage. CGI programs can be written in any language including C/C++, PERL, Visual Basic, Python, TCL and probably many others. PERL is one language that makes extensive use of CGI but is not by itself CGI.

------------------
    Wayne Luke - Sitepoint Moderator/Internet Media Developer
    Digital Magician Studios - Making Magic with Web Applications
    wluke@digitalmagician.com

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    woops I should have said PERL my bad I wasnt thinking, anyway I am using a UNIX server and I can use PHP and CGI but I cant use SSI I am using the Freedom2Surf Servers

[This message has been edited by errorman (edited May 09, 2000).]

Serial Publisher silver trophy aspen's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You'll always use html to make websites.

Even if you use perl, what you're doing is telling the perl program to print html code out.

The only reason to use ASP or PHP or perl or what have you is for interactivity or dynamic (as opposed to static) content.

If you simply want to make pages that are fancier and HTML isn't enough for you try using client side scripting languages like Javascript or VBscript. Learn CSS and definitely learn SSI (neither of these are really languages they are more like expansion packs for html, in anycase SSI is ungodly simple and can be learned in 5 minutes, it doesn't make better pages but it makes a happier page maker)

Then you also might want to experiment with shockwave.

But dont learn perl with hopes it will let you make better pages, it wont. Perl will process forms for you, it wont make a better looking site.

Chris

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I know about Perl, but about PHP is it easy to learn? I want to make a site with it to experiment, but I want to know if I would waste my money by buying a book and not taking a class or anything

Non-Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Errorman,
    If you are familiar with perl syntax, learning PHP should not give you too much trouble. I picked it up pretty quickly because of that fact. I would encourage you to go to http://www.php.net , and spend a few hours going through the manual and experimenting with the code examples that are found in the manual.

------------------
    http://www.wiredstart.com The technology start page

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A tutorial series on building a database-driven website with PHP and MySQL will be beginning on SitePoint in about a week's time, so if you have any worries about learning the language, I'd encourage you to stick around!

For the record, PHP is easy to run on both Unix/Linux and Windows-based Web servers (I'm running PHP here under Windows 98 with Sambar server).

------------------
    -Kevin Yank.
    http://www.SitePoint.com/
    Helping Small Business Grow Online!