SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Simple budget management

Hello all,

I would like to start keeping track of my personal and business expenses. I don't need anything complex, I probably could almost use OpenOffice spreadsheet for everything, though I wouldn't know the first thing about how to organize it. If anyone could suggest to me a simple system, or a simple program (I'm using Ubuntu Linux) that I could use, I'd really appreciate it.

Thanks,

Cory

SitePoint Author silver trophybronze trophy
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quicken for the PC is good, and they now have a fully online version you can use. I would start there.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The current trend are online financial management services. I'm using buxfer.com and I'm very happy with it. You can import all type of bank statements (even Quicken files), tag your expenses and check out reports.

SitePoint Wizard silver trophy
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you run a very simple business (not retail, no employees), then I think you could easily manage using an excel/spreadsheet file. OpenOffice is great, or if you have Office, use Excel.

You need a budget, cash flow statement and balance sheet. Google each of those with filetype: xls and you'll find a lot of examples.

Put simply, you need to track your income & expenses. If your business is simple, you can do that all in one Excel workbook with a few different sheets linked together with Macros. Quickbooks could very well be overkill for a one-man show.

To get an idea of where your personal finances are going, check out www.mint.com -- it's pretty cool. It does a decent job of automatically categorizing transactions, but you can teach it over time also. That, a check book (that you balance) and a simple budget should have you covered in most situations.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the suggestions guys. My business is very simple, just websites for a couple of clients every month. I'll look into the web apps, but I probably will just use open office's spreadsheet app.

Cory