SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Evangelist kooshin.com's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

A form on the Home Page ?Good thing...Or Bad thing...

I was looking around and I found out that people have different opinions about having a form on the home page of the website. What are your thoughts about this?Do you think it is good to have a form on the frontpage?

Thanks in advance.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Depends what it's for and how it's presented. I can't see anything wrong with having a login form on the homepage, but if the first thing somebody is faced with is a request for their name, address and phone number there may be a low success rate.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It is almost essential to have a form on the home page these days. The internet has become such an interactive and personal form of medium now that almost every website has at least a login form on the home page. I would suggest that a home page form should only probe for the bare minimum details from a user.

The more detail you are requesting from your user, the more I would suggest placing that form within the site and not on the home page.
    Regards,
    BJ Duncan

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Perhaps you could have a form on the home page, but one that does not show the entire form. Only show the rest when the user decides to take the action to complete and submit?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi guys thanks for the answers.The kind of form I was talking about is the one you see sometimes on the web design firms
    s websites.Some of those forms have only 4 fields which is I guess something not bad at all.

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi kooshin I don't view it as necessarily a bad thing to have a 4 field form on the home page. It really depends on what the site is about, what kind of information is being collected, etc. If you are concerned about it, maybe make it a little less prominent than the other content on the page.
    renkai.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Regarding usability do you think people prefer to see a quick contact form on the home page?

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It is difficult to say what people will prefer. Speaking only for myself, I really have no preference. If I want to contact the site owner through a form, I will look for a separate contact page on the site. But if it is right there on the home page I would have no problem using it.
    renkai.com