Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Windows XP SP3

Founder of Primal Skill Ltd. feketegy's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Windows XP SP3

It's available now through Windows Update.

The sad news is, they didn't updated Internet Explorer. It still ships with version 6.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Here's the link to download. Read more on the IEBlog about making sure you uninstall IE 8 Beta 1 before updating.
    I design beautiful, usable interfaces. Oh, and I wrote a kids' book.
    Follow me on Twitter.
    Read my blog.
    Buy my book, Charlie Weatherburn and the Flying Machine.

SitePoint Wizard
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mattymcg View Post
    Here's the link to download.
    All I saw at that link is an overview of sp3 to download.

As usual, Microsoft's website is as highly disorganized as it could possibly be. To find something, you've got to search and search and search some more. I consider myself lucky that I found the link to the standalone install of xp sp3.

Windows XP Service Pack 3 Full Standalone Installation File

It's 316 MB.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's not really surprising that it doesn't include IE7, as SP3 is mostly just a cumulation of SP2 and all the critical updates since.
    It's not a new-feature style release, especially given that XP is no longer Microsoft's primary OS.

SitePoint Wizard
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    IE7 has the potential to break a lot of websites, especially MS centric corporate intranet pages that were never developed with other browsers in mind.

Pushing IE7 out bundled with a must-have would land MS at odds with many administrators who hold IE7 back on the corporate network.

MS take the concerns of administrators very seriously. That's why they have only 1 patch per month, preceded by advisories which will let each administrator decide whether he wants a particular update or not.

SitePoint Wizard silver trophybronze trophy Stormrider's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    On the other hand, companies have had a year and a half to bring their applications up to IE7 standards now. There is no excuse for not supporting it really.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    HERE is the actual direct download link.
    Honda Civic Forum - UK Civic Forum
    Web Host Reviews - Independent, honest host reviews
    My Portfolio - Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication

Original Gangster silver trophy Thing's Avatar
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by cranial-bore View Post
    It's not really surprising that it doesn't include IE7, as SP3 is mostly just a cumulation of SP2 and all the critical updates since.
    It's not a new-feature style release, especially given that XP is no longer Microsoft's primary OS.
    Well now I'll no longer have to download/install 99 updates on a fresh XP install w/ SP2.

Is Still Alive silver trophybronze trophy RetroNetro's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Thing View Post
    Well now I'll no longer have to download/install 99 updates on a fresh XP install w/ SP2.
    http://lifehacker.com/386526/slipstr...nstallation-cd

whagwan? silver trophybronze trophy akritic's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Thing View Post
    I was wondering where the benefit was, and that nailed it. Shows how much involvement I have in installing new PC's with XP (none)

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    well,i gonna switch back to xp sp3 instead of vista.....

SitePoint Author silver trophybronze trophy
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Stormrider View Post
    On the other hand, companies have had a year and a half to bring their applications up to IE7 standards now. There is no excuse for not supporting it really.
    Please come into the real world. Many, many internal corporate networks can't even see the public internet, just their internal apps. If stuff works with IE6, why are they going to break it and incur serious, likely unbudgeted costs, in fixing things. The problem really is not the boxed apps, most of which have been upgraded. Rather it is the custom, 1-off line of business apps that many companies rely upon to do their daily business. And, as a network administrator, if it comes between breaking a line of business app or embracing the next new browser, I am going to choose the line of business app any day. The other option is to look for a new job for all intents and purposes.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'v got some 300 pcs that need this patch... i hate that i read this post.

What does it fix that 2 didn't. Probably just contains all 90updates that are required when you install SP2 and get those updates?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by wwb_99 View Post
    Please come into the real world. Many, many internal corporate networks can't even see the public internet, just their internal apps. If stuff works with IE6, why are they going to break it and incur serious, likely unbudgeted costs, in fixing things. The problem really is not the boxed apps, most of which have been upgraded. Rather it is the custom, 1-off line of business apps that many companies rely upon to do their daily business. And, as a network administrator, if it comes between breaking a line of business app or embracing the next new browser, I am going to choose the line of business app any day. The other option is to look for a new job for all intents and purposes.
    I know it's the 'real world', but businesses really don't have that much of an excuse. If they just leave it, they are going to end up in a position where they have to use an unsupported browser on an unsupported OS probably (I think IE7 is becoming a forced update later this year for the OSs that can support it). I'm not saying companies should rush to fix it as soon as the browser is out, just saying it really is their own fault when IE7 becomes a forced upgrade and breaks their applications because they couldn't be bothered to do anything about it. You don't see companies still using IE4 or whatever, they had to upgrade before and will have to again. If their apps haven't been coded to work in modern browsers, using standards for futureproofing, I really don't think MS can be blamed / have anything to do with it. If companies don't want to spend the time to make sure their applications are up to date with the standards (rather than coded for a specific browser), then they will lose out when IE6 is dead.

SitePoint Author silver trophybronze trophy
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mkoenig View Post
    I'v got some 300 pcs that need this patch... i hate that i read this post.

What does it fix that 2 didn't. Probably just contains all 90updates that are required when you install SP2 and get those updates?
    Yes, that is pretty much it. I would look into System Management Server to manage patching that many boxes though.

@Stormrider--There are ways to defeat automatic updates on your own domain, so nothing is "forced." And I have seen businesses still sticking to IE4 all the time because that is what works for whatever the app in question is. There is a fair amount of "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" feeling in this world. Now, if MS ever gets the licensing right, alot of these problems can be solved with virtual PCs.

I should note that there are a fair amount of green screen, terminal emulation apps still in production use. If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes, it is final, downloadable from Microsoft Update and it can be installed even with IE 7 (IE 7 had issues on beta versions of SP3)

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've installed it now, didn't work with automatic updates so I used the direct link. Works fine.

SitePoint Wizard
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Yankee85 View Post
    Yes, it is final, downloadable from Microsoft Update and it can be installed even with IE 7 (IE 7 had issues on beta versions of SP3)
    Yep, but now you are stuck with IE7. Until you installed SP3 you could still revert back to IE6. If you go into the "installed programs" now you will notice that you can no longer uninstall IE7.

Not a big problem at this stage with IE8 on the horizon, but nevertheless not too elegant either.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You can uninstall SP3, uninstall IE7, install SP3 again if you really wanted, but it's a complete pain!

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, why use IE 6 anymore? Of course, for testing purposes you can use a virtual machine for that. I hate having too many alternatives for programs on my computer, which all make the same thing, so I use a VM for that

Is Still Alive silver trophybronze trophy RetroNetro's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I still have IE6 and have installed SP3.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This is why I switched to Ubuntu. Everything works including my two games. No security issues, hassle free computing and more control than with windows.

SitePoint Enthusiast Imran Khalid's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This is a good news for me,

i will install XP sp3 as soon as possible
    Imran Khalid ~ My Blog ♥

. shoooo... silver trophy logic_earth's Avatar
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by elemental70 View Post
    ...Ubuntu...hassle free computing...
    Until you go beyond the base install then things get hairy quickly.
    Logic without the fatal effects.
    All code snippets are licensed under WTFPL.

SitePoint Wizard
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by logic_earth View Post
    Until you go beyond the base install then things get hairy quickly.
    Please don't feed the trolls. Posting about alternative OSes in a thread about a Windows Service Pack is nothing but immature trolling. It makes poster feel like he belongs to some kind of computing elite to counter his feeling of insecurity. It will bring nothing constructive to this thread.