SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Confirmed Halfwit
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

How to test if string is in an array list?

I am trying to check and see if a certain file extension is in a list of allowable file extensions. I have the file extension in a string variable, and the list of allowed extensions in an array.

Code:
    var extension = "txt";

var list = new Array();
    list["1"] = "gif";
    list["2"] = "jpg";
    list["3"] = "png";
    Can anyone show me how to test if "extension" is in the list of allowed extensions? The list of extensions is an unknown number of extensions. (There could be fifty elements in the array..)

Thanks!
    - A simple online WYSIWYG editor for HTML code snippets.
    - Managed Web Hosting - $3.95/month (resellers welcome)
    - Why pay more? $8.95 domains & $9.95 SSL certificates!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Unfortunately:
    I believe the best way of doing this is to loop through the existing elements and test against them.

Code:
    for (i=0;i<br.length;i++){
         match=i if (br[i] == nbr);
         }
    You can then refer to your match easily by number. Otherwise you could assign br[i] to match, if you wanted to know the extension name, but this is unlikely since you have nbr (my variable for the extension to test against).

The only way i can think of doing this faster would be using it the other way round. if you used the extension as the "key" of the array then you could do an "if (exists browsers[key])" Though i'm not entirely certain of this, it's a perl ability that i'm assuming is also possible in JS.
    If you think you'll be doing a lot of testing then it might be worth you creating variables to test against.
    This is wasteful of namespaces - but if you are going to do a lot of testing for extensions then it might save you time.

Code:
    for (i=0;i<br.length;i++){
         eval('var '+br[i]+' = "'+br_types[i]+'";');
         }
    You can now test simply for "if (eval(br))" since evaluating the extension name would return a variable.

Hope this helps, and i hope you understand.
    if you don't - don't be afraid to ask for more information - I'll be happy to help in any way that i can.

Flawless
    ---=| If you're going to buy a pet - get a Shetland Giraffe |=---