SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    In the meantime, many Jews, including me, have made their homes and communities in these areas. This is quite understandable since its the heartland of ancient-biblical Israel and we obviously feel strongly attached to the land that we have yearned for all these centuries.
    akohl,
    I do not know where you brought the world Centuries!!

Until now, I haven't met one Jewish person that was born in "Israel"

Go to Israel and try to find a 50 years old Jewish that was actually born there.

All Jewish immigrated from all over the world to "Israel" starting 1947.

Palestinian been there for centuries and now they have been accused of terrorism because they are trying to get their land back.

How is that a crime?

This is a very clear case but the world is trying to ignore it.

hundreds of Israelis have been slaughtered, not a dozen
    Maybe in a year or two but not in one day.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Code:
    dim Palestine_Leader
    dim Israel_Leader
    dim Outcome

Palestine_Leader=Yasser_arafat
    Israel_Leader= Yitzhak_Rabin

Palestine_Leader + Israel_Leader = Outcome

Print Outcome

PEACE

-----------------------------------------
    dim Palestine_Leader
    dim Israel_Leader
    dim Outcome

Israel_Leader= Benyamin_Natanyahu

Print Outcome

PEACE

-----------------------------------------

dim Palestine_Leader
    dim Israel_Leader
    dim Outcome

Israel_Leader=Ehud_Barak

Print Outcome

SUICIDE BOMBERS
    DRIVE BY SHOOTINGS
    RACIST INCITEMENT

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

dim Palestine_Leader
    dim Israel_Leader
    dim Outcome

Israel_Leader= Ariel_Sharon

Print Outcome

WAR

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by avolia

akohl,
    I do not know where you brought the world Centuries!!

Until now, I haven't met one Jewish person that was born in "Israel"

Go to Israel and try to find a 50 years old Jewish that was actually born there.

All Jewish immigrated from all over the world to "Israel" starting 1947.

Palestinian been there for centuries and now they have been accused of terrorism because they are trying to get their land back.

How is that a crime?

This is a very clear case but the world is trying to ignore it.
    First of all, there are plenty of Israelis over 50 born in Israel and there are plenty who's families have been for as many as 5 or 6 generations.

And how many times to I have to mention that it was not the Palestinian's land before '67 or before 48. It belonged to the Brits. It belonged to the Turks. It belonged to the Egyptians, It belonged to the Romans, It belong to the Jews. It was never ruled by the Palestinians and if history is any indication, it never will be!

What I said about myself as a Jew was centuries of "yearning" as in hoping to get our land backfor centuries of exile.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The Arab Press

This thread has veered from Arafat and Sharon to other related issues, such as press bias. I think this is quite closely related to the original thread title since in my view, the whole prominence of the personality of Sharon is nothing more than one big media distortion.

I still maintain that the press in general fails in its responsibility to inform the public. It rather distorts issues by highlighting more marketable aspects of stories and thereby obscuring the aspects that provide a more essential understanding of the issues.

But in this post I want to bring up a different press issue, that is, how the press is used in the Arab world in general and with the Palestinian in particular to distort issues in such a way as to perpetuate the suffering of both Israelis and Palestinians.

Let's think about it for a minute. How can we understand the willingness of young people, even teenagers, to blow themselves up in shopping centers? These suicide bombers must think that every single Israeli, even infants, are abhorrent, even demonic to the extent that they do the world a favor by killing as many of them as possible.

How can they possibly think like this?

By believing lies. Lies authored by respected professors and clerics and published in mainstream, even government owned, operated and/or controlled newspapers such as the Saudi Arabian Al-Riyadh.

Here's a link to a chilling article which revives the mediaeval blood libel.

http://memri.org/bin/articles.cgi?Pa...=sd&ID=SP35402

Only someone who reflects deeply on torture techniques would have been capable of even imagining
    the elaborate ritual system detailed in this article.

And here is a sermon delivered by Imam Sheikh Ibrahim Madhi in Gaza and broadcast live by the PA Broadcasting authority. Among other things, it asserts the Moslem aspiration to take over the whole world (that's right, that would include The US, Britain and everywhere else!) and that all Jews go to hell, "to a cruel fate" (Who would decide that, a cruel god?), and that Moslem martyrs all go to paradise(Who would decide that, a racist god, a terrorist god?)

http://www.memri.org/news.html#1019000308

The problem in the Middle East is not the personalities of Sharon and Arafat.

The problem is the hatred. Without the hatred, there would be no big terrorism problem. Without the terrorism there would be no Israeli incursions into Jenin. So lets get papers like Al-Riyadh to inform is readers, not misinform them, and lets get the Palestinian Broadcasting Authority to use a bit of discretion, rather than publicising every bit of racist incitement that comes their way.

I have thought deeply about how to achieve peace. Oslo was a big mistake born of Israeli despair. When the dust settles from the current unrest, a new approach to peace will be needed.

Any ideas?

SitePoint Wizard silver trophy TheOriginalH's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Perhaps a niave and idealistic solution - but how about working on the common ground and building from there. Look to shared principles and beliefs, put aside fears in favour of understanding. I also believe that any talks should not be conducted by either Arafat or Sharon, both have either too much blood on their hands, or at very least, suspicion of it. Perhaps respected scholars, thinkers or whatever from each side should be chatting, not politicians, whose natural ultimate goal is either furtherance or protection of people -starting from a defensive position does not provide a long road.

The sooner both sides appreciate each other, and recognise each other as people (rather than Jews as land stealers and Palestinians as Terrosists), the quicker the bloodshed can stop.

Well, there's the idealist rhetoric - how exactly to achieve it? hmmm - put it to either Arafat or Sharon and it'll be ignored - find a way of putting it to the people.....
    ~The Artist Latterly Known as Crazy Hamster~
    922ee590a26bd62eb9b33cf2877a00df
    Currently delving into Django, GIT & CentOS

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    First off mr akohl i think you proved my point in that the variable that changes the outcome to negative is the israel leadership

i am not saying that arafat is all good, i just can't figure out why they would want peace at one time and now just want unreasonable killing maybe during the rabin leadership their god who is so evil that makes them kill the inocent little children of israel was sleeping of maybe playing cards or something.

i believe in full and open debate but one condition HAS to be met or else the debate is useless, both parties must be on equal grounds, now you say than why don't the palestinians fight equal well let's just say their 13 year old kids throwing rocks isn't quiet as equal as i would hope unless ofcourse you would want me to believe that the guys in the tank are the real victims the sound that they must have to bear every time the rock hits that huge metal war machine and i guess the israeli government was so hurt by this loud noise that they see no other way but to blatently murder the poor (Yet evil according to some) people of palestine.

i know for a fact the palestinians have NEVER hid their feelings about israeli OCCUPATION and frankly they use the only thing they have left, they don't have weapons or diplomatic powers, or education for that matter to brainwash the youth of israel, they use the one thing they have to defend their right to live in their homes and that is their body

i suggest sir that you try and face a man 5-10 times your size and might and you will feel the desperation, and the utter helplessness that the palestinians feel everyday.

EVERYTHING ELSE IS IRREVLEVENT especially what other people think about all this, I wouldn't trust the US government if my life depended on it, they even try to mislead their own people let alone the people outside their country.

I believe Mr Bush once said something to the flavour that their a fair trial is a luxury only for the americans, for outsiders we have our foreign policy.

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: Re: Re: not afraid of criticism, just blatant inaccuracies

Originally posted by akohl As far as the alleged massacres, I am not likely to believe the worst about my people and my army. My government says that there was no massacre.
    Akhol,
    Read this then let me know what you think of your army now . Maybe you also thought they were just doing their job at Sabra and Shatilla?

U.N. envoy says Jenin camp 'shocking and horrifying'

http://cnn.worldnews.emailthis.click...ToID=972217708

Qamar

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by TheOriginalH
    I also believe that any talks should not be conducted by either Arafat or Sharon, both have either too much blood on their hands, or at very least, suspicion of it. Perhaps respected scholars, thinkers or whatever from each side should be chatting, not politicians, whose natural ultimate goal is either furtherance or protection of people -starting from a defensive position does not provide a long road.
    omg, I'm going to agree with TOH on this one.

I have long thought that Arafat and Sharon are not the right people to be conducting peace negotiations.

I have no clue who should though. :/

Qamar: It seems the press is becoming more and more anti-Isreal by the day. And I don't think the anti-Isreal press is any better of a souce than IDF eye-witness accounts.

akohl might believe one thing about the IDF, but the press might also be reporting the exact opposite extreme.
    --There's my 1.5 cents, now where is my change!?!?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by TheOriginalH
    Perhaps respected scholars, thinkers or whatever from each side should be chatting, not politicians, whose natural ultimate goal is either furtherance or protection of people -starting from a defensive position does not provide a long road.
    Those doing the negotiations should be concerned about protecting people. And they should be held accoutable by the public they serve when they make mistakes which result in deaths. When a particular idea doesn't work, the authors should be thrown out of office and some other people should be given a chance. Let them start from scratch and see if they discover some new formula that works.

In Israel, for some reason, although they were voted out of office, the architects of the Oslo treaties were not thrown completely out of the game. They are still in the governemt as cooalition partners, some of them anyway, particularly Shimon Peres. Too bad. The Oslo peace proccess made the Palestinians hate us even more. It's obvious to me that it was a mistake. The question is, how to correct that mistake?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Indian, that interview was falsified. I knew it!

Originally posted by Indian

Originally posted by goober

Ian, I also haven't heard of these allegations of war crimes against Sharon, and I'd like to learn more. Do you have any links available to me for further study?
    If you don't mind, I will answer for Ian.

Profile of A Terrorist: Ariel Sharon - Mein Kampf in Hebrew

http://www.islamicparty.com/commonsense/33sharon.htm

At some stage I posted my estimation that the above interview with Ariel Sharon had been falsified. You see I don't believe the worst about my people. Well, it turns out that my instincts were right.

The above linked page presents an interview of Sharon by Amos Oz, Israeli peace activist. I found In my inbox today a reference to an a journalist who apologised for attributing the quotes from that interview to Sharon. It turns out that Amos Oz has never met Ariel Sharon and did not interview him.

See;

http://rockymountainnews.com/drmn/ne...089802,00.html

As for Indian, the poster of that falsification, I suggerst that he write to that website and request that they correct the presentation of the interview.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: Indian, that interview was falsified. I knew it!

Originally posted by akohl

As for Indian, the poster of that falsification, I suggerst that he write to that website and request that they correct the presentation of the interview.
    It turns out that islamicparty.com has admitted the mistake. The errata note is placed at the foot of the page. But at the head of the page they left the originial introductory comments,

The following is a reprint of an interview with Israeli Prime Minister Ariel Sharon by Amos Oz as originally published in the Israeli daily Davar on 17 December 1982. The man referred to as C. is Sharon.
    Also, in the errata note, they point out that the "opinions mentioned match his thinking".

Well, they do not match his thinking. They are so uncharacteristic of his thinking that I knew that it was not him talking. I now have confirmation that my instincts were correct.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: Indian, that interview was falsified. I knew it!

Originally posted by akohl

I am sorry that I posted a link to such an erroneous information. In future, I will be careful of obviously biased sources.
    And thank you, akohl for pointing out this error.
    Death --the last sleep? No, it is the final awakening.

TinyPlanet.org
    Discuss and Debate World Events, Politics and Religion