User Tag List

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sybase 11.0.3 questions?

Hi,

Is Sybase 11.0.3 a Relational DBMS or an Object-Relational DBMS? Can I create object like in Oracle 8+?

Can I connect to Sybase 11.0.3 using C++ or Java? What libraries do I have to use and where can I get it?

What are the differences between Sybase, Oracle and PostgreSQL in term of querying? Are they the same?

Best Regards

buried in the database shell (Washington, DC)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It depends on what you mean by an 'object'. If you define a java class you can use that as a column type and have an 'object' stuck in your row.

But Sybase classifies themselves as Relational since they adhere more to the relational tenants of Cobb (and others) far more than Oracle does.

Sybase can be connected to via pretty much anything. When you download ASE (I assume for Linux) you'll also want to download the Sybase-CT connectivity libraries.

Postgresql and Sybase both use the 'query' function in PHP. Oracle you have to bind and parse and do all sorts of weird things. It's all in the PHP documentation at www.php.net

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the reply.

What I mean by an object is that can I create a new type or a nested table in Sybase. I mean with Oracle 8i, you use the extended functions to create nested table and new types. For example:

CREATE OR REPLACE TYPE Person AS OBJECT (
    person_id VARCHAR2(10),
    person_name VARCHAR2(30));

CREATE TABLE Course (
    course_id VARCHAR2(10),
    course_name VARCHAR2(20),
    lecturer Person));

Notice the lecturer field in the Course table? I reference it to the new type Person which I created earlier.

I was wondering if I could do this in Sybase. Nothing to do with java.

Thanks
    Thanks

buried in the database shell (Washington, DC)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No you cannot do that natively, especially not in 11.0.0.3. You can in ASE12.0 and up. You define a class in java and can use that as an object. The end result would be the same.