User Tag List

Thread: Site Traffic

Non-Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Site Traffic

I was looking at a site that an individual is selling he claims the site is making around $900 net a week. It sells a type of office suite software. He also claims that the site is around 6 months old but when you search for it on the search engines or check Alexa or the web archives it does not show up unless you type it directly into the address bar. He says he has only recently submitted it to the search engines and before he relied only on payed per click advertising and this was the reason for this lack of a foot prints on the web.

My question is that possible or would there be records of it on the places I have looked?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Doubtful. Even if he didn't submit it to search engines, they still would have found it. Unless he disallowed search agents through .htaccess, which I doubt he would. Smells like a scam to me.
    Nick . all that we see or seem, is but a dream within a dream
    Show someone you care, send them a virtual flower.
    Good deals on men's watches

Non-Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Possibility View Post
    Doubtful. Even if he didn't submit it to search engines, they still would have found it. Unless he disallowed search agents through .htaccess, which I doubt he would. Smells like a scam to me.
    Thank you his excuses sounded pretty stupid to me but Im not an expert to say one way or the other thank you for your help.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Why would he sell the site if it is making 900/wk. It's a scam

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Valid or Not???

Try using the "wayback machine". You may have to Google it to get the web address. It's a play off of the Sherman and Mr. Peabody cartoon. But, what it does is let you go back in time on the web. If the site existed 6 months ago it can show you what it looked like. Try going back a month at a time and you should be able to find its origin.

old286

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    punch it into... dnscoop.com...domaintools.com......domainpagerank.com

they will give you leads you can follow like compete ... quantcast...whois etc.

if the site is less than 6 months wayback will come up blank..

bring up escrow.com to the seller..mention you will ask for time to verify the site before final payment....if he is scamming you wont hear from them again!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    one more question about "traffic"...

what do the experts consider high, med or low traffic?

okay 2 more <G>

why is a smaller number in alexa better then a high number?

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Umm... what are you guys talking about??

If a site is selling office suite software, and he advertises on very good keywords with PPC, he may very well make $900/wk with 20 visitors a day on a good landing page. Such a site would not appear anywhere on Google, alexa or the wayback machine, and would be completely legit.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I strongly suspect he's "selling" OpenOffice, which is a free alternative to the Microsoft suite that virtually every PC has or the free online suite offered by Google.

Even if he wasn't trying to get links people would link to a site they were buying from and it certainly would show up in Google.

No-one in their right mind sells $900 a week for anything less than a year's income, ie close to 50k. If he/she DOES actually have their own suite that sells well then best case scenerio he's hoping to sell off to avoid the support issues or something.

There's no way on this planet I'd pay that kind of money for a site unknown to Google.

Intoxicated with the madness petertdavis's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by dippingtoe View Post
    I strongly suspect he's "selling" OpenOffice, which is a free alternative to the Microsoft suite that virtually every PC has or the free online suite offered by Google.

Even if he wasn't trying to get links people would link to a site they were buying from and it certainly would show up in Google.

No-one in their right mind sells $900 a week for anything less than a year's income, ie close to 50k. If he/she DOES actually have their own suite that sells well then best case scenerio he's hoping to sell off to avoid the support issues or something.

There's no way on this planet I'd pay that kind of money for a site unknown to Google.
    If a site was doing that well without any organic traffic at all, I'd consider that a huge opportunity. Assuming it's all above board, I'd be doing some projections on how well it could do if I could get it ranked in organic search.