Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We'll see a revenge maybe

SitePoint Author silver trophybronze trophy
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I really don't think they beat off MSFT. Rather, they overvalued themselves and left a few billion dollars sitting on the table. Steve B deserves alot of credit for sticking to his guns and not being goaded into overpaying. Now the pressure is on Yahoo! to actually increase revenue before they get bought out by someone else at a cheaper price.

I knew I should have shorted YHOO when all this went down . . .

SitePoint Wizard drhowarddrfine's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Somebody must have known ahead of time because Yahoo was up $1.86 on high volume Friday and $1.03 in after market trading.

I agree Yahoo is the one that beat off Microsoft because they didn't want to be bought by MS. Microsoft lost because they were the pursuer and they thought the purchase would be good for them.

SitePoint Wizard drhowarddrfine's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    In fact:
    The software giant had wanted to do a deal to be able to compete with Google, which dominates the lucrative market for internet advertising.
    So that implies Microsoft won't be able to compete with Google?
    Mr Ballmer told his own employees that Microsoft could achieve its goals without Yahoo, albeit at a slower pace.
    As I said, this failure is not good for Microsoft either. Yahoo's share price may drop but Microsoft's might, too.

SitePoint Wizard
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yahoo! won a pyrrhic victory. Yang was too emotionally involved. Late in the game he won the backing of some large shareholders who got overly greedy; something they probably regret now. A company is worth what the market says. Microsoft offered a huge premium because 1) Yahoo was worth more to them that to other investors and 2) they wanted a quick deal with minimal distractions.

Come monday YHOO stocks will plunge, MSFT will rise. Yang will probably face several lawsuits from dissapointed shareholders, claiming he was persuing personal interests rather than the shareholders. He may even be forced to return to the table in a much weakened position. That's what happened to BEA when Oracle made a move for them.

YHOOs lates financial reporting for 2007 was positive, but only because it was boosted by one-time posts. As a business YHOO is still fledging, which was reflected in the market cap before the Microsoft bid.

Yahoo now risks that MS takes the money set aside for the bid and use it in a campaign to grow their own adds market share rather than buying it from Yahoo. 46 billion $$ is a lot of money. If they use only 1/10th of that, Yahoo may be in for some stiff competition.

Yahoo also launched a "poison pill" defense, promising key employees huge "bonuses" in the event of a takeover (so that the buyer would have to pay them). Some of those employees may noe be dissapointed that the deal didn't go down. At the same time MS has publicly stated that they had set aside at least 1.5 billion dollars for "incentives" to keep key employees. Some of those dissapointed employees may consider moving to Google or Microsoft; especially if the stock falls back and lawsuits create distractions for the business.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I knew they would.
    Have a good day.

Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Excuse my ignorance of the subject, but why are Yahoo in trouble in the first place? From what I've heard (which may be wrong) they are gaining profit, have some fantastic software and websites under its name and are still the most popular website on the Internet.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Because the US is in a recession and a lot of larger companies take it as an opportunity to take over other companies.
    Have a good day.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Really? Beats off? That's what you're going with?
    http://shownd.com - Your free online design portfolio.
    http://rehashclothes.com - Swap your clothes.
    http://orpheuxdesign.com - My design studio.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Darren884 View Post
    Because the US is in a recession and a lot of larger companies take it as an opportunity to take over other companies.
    The market was punishing them since Nov of last year. I wasn't following them but I can only guess that they were missing earnings. The big jump at the beginning of Feb is the takeover bid announcement.
    But you're right MS made the bid when times were tough and a lot of tech had already been hammered down.

http://stockcharts.com/h-sc/ui?s=YHO...d=p59008126034

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think this would hurt yahoo in short term. However, i think its a good decision for ms.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bluedreamer View Post
    Yahoo!'s end game is near.
    1. Microsoft pulls out.
    2. Yahoo! share value drops through out the week.
    3. Microsoft launches its hostile takeover bid when it feels Yahoo! shares are worth the least.

If I was a Yahoo! shareholder I'd be pissed. $33 per share was a very good offer, now M$ has a good shot at acquiring the company for much less. I hope Yahoo! has enough lawyers to handle the flood of investor lawsuits coming their way.
    Online Startups Insight for new entrepreneurs

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    http://finance.yahoo.com/q?d=t&s=YHOO

Yahoo is down 22% in premarket trading. Here come the shareholder lawsuits.
    Online Startups Insight for new entrepreneurs

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think Yahoo's demand of $37 is justified. They deserved that kind of valuation because they can get that kind of revenue with google ads.

SitePoint Wizard
    Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't think it's over for Yahoo.

Not to offend anyone, but if people on a web design forum can predict that their shares will drop, I'm sure those at Yahoo can as well. I'm sure they planned for this and of course there will be an initial drop. However, it doesn't mean it's going to bottom out.

They'll go back up and I think Microsoft is just putting up a tough front to try and not look defeated. If you could do something without spending $56 Billion, you would. Microsoft is making the assumption that they can overtake Google, or even compete is a bit stupid, because as Microsoft grows it's presence, Google is going to continue to grow as well.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Jerry Yang is putting his personal money into yahoo to retain the company under his leadership..

SitePoint Wizard
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by samanime View Post
    I don't think it's over for Yahoo.

Not to offend anyone, but if people on a web design forum can predict that their shares will drop, I'm sure those at Yahoo can as well. I'm sure they planned for this and of course there will be an initial drop. However, it doesn't mean it's going to bottom out.
    Of course they will not bottom out. Microsoft is still a potential buyer who has shown interest. That alone will add a percentage points to the perceived value. The problem for Yang and his backers is that they must now show that their claim that YHOO stocks were grossly undervalued has merit. The market now sets them 14 billion lower. Yang has to prove soon that YHOO can gain that amount of value in very few years. A lot of other stock holders are going to be pissed that they just left 14 billion on the table.

Another obvious indicator that the price Yahoo asked is too high is the fact that Microsoft actually gained a few percent after walking away.

Quote Originally Posted by samanime View Post
    They'll go back up and I think Microsoft is just putting up a tough front to try and not look defeated.
    They'll only go up if Yahoo can do something else than what they did the last 3 years. They have been in almost constant decline. Few analysts seem to have confidence in Yang. He returned as CEO to turn the company around, but have only presided over more decline.

To be sure, this is also a loss for Microsoft (and a victory for Google). Microsoft have their own problems executing in the online add market. They must now look elsewhere to buy the presense which they have been unable to grow for themselves.

Yang will face shareholder suits. Some of his poison pill defenses will be hard to justify as anything but an attempt to lower the value for a potential buyer. Cue the "bonuses" to employees, which were to be paid by the buyer. Yang effectively promised to give away shareholders money. The intention was to make Yahoo less desirable. Some shareholders will file suit allegeding that his actions demonstrated that he were not after the best deal, but exclusively tried to avoid the deal; even to the point of giving away shareholder money.

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Darren884 View Post
    Really? A recession is defined as two consecutive months of negative growth; so far as I know the US has yet to have one. The economy even grew last month -- not as quickly, but grew nevertheless.

Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm still unconvinced that Yahoo have anything to worry about other than a lack of growth against a vastly superior Google. I can't compete with Google, so should I just give up the fight? As far as I know Yahoo are still the second most-popular search engine on the Internet so they have nothing to worry about.

What I believe Yahoo need to get people back on their side is to create some truly great software and websites. Yahoo have made some really poor acquisitions alongside some great ones, so I would lay off the purchasing and make some great software in-house. Perhaps a dive into the semantic web is what's needed for Yahoo?

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    resist the tyrant!! they killed kenny!! )

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Am I the only one who finds the title of this thread humorous?
    A community environment where web designers can share their work:
    RateMyWebPage.net
    Check out and review some new and unique websites or submit your own

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by McStompin View Post
    Am I the only one who finds the title of this thread humorous?
    I do because of the smilies in your sig LOL.
    Have a good day.

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    They have stock holders doing the work for them right now. they are trying to throw board out

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    fun aside i would really hate it if MS aquired Yahoo .For example i can imagine a lot of ways in which Hotmail/Yahoo hybrid mail/messenger could go very very wrong.