SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Talking [LAYOUT] Horizontal, kinda different layout concept for my portfolio.

http://www.mediafreq.net/urban_chic_port.jpg

This one is different. This is a layout for my portfolio that i'm working on. I'm going with a horizontal scroller. Gonna have a little AJAX in it to make things move around a bit...

I haven't worked on whether I want a nav up top to enable the user to click around.

The yet unlabeled tab up top will use scriptaculous to get the user to "drag" the contact panel down, inside will be a dynamic form they can use to contact me. I'll use styled divs with "overflow: scroll;" to get the vertical content to sort of emulate an iframe.

I'm building this b/c I need a new job at an agency that knows what it's doing. I'm currently shooting for a senior position. Unfortunatly I made this just a touch too large vertically for notebook computers.

I'm going to use multiple layered wrappers to get the backgrounds to tile. It's a bit graphic intensive but the way I have in mind to break it apart it won't be too much of a problem, and I can keep my markup semantic. She's left aligned so styling this will be a piece of cake since it will be mostly positioned divs. They should have broadband so there will be no issue loading this.

What do you guys/gals think?

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    well I think horizontal scrolling is kinda new idea, I never came across anyone using a horizontal scrolling feature, I think your page looks cool keep up the good work, I think its cool.

rohit

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i agree with Rohit123, it took a little while to get used to the horizontal scroll, but I like it. It's an interesting idea that I wouldn't suggest to most, but you kind of pull it off, it looks nice.

Maybe you can point out that it scrolls horizonally... maybe an arrow in the bottom right and left. It would be cool if those could control the scroll - i don't know if that's even possible though.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That's one thing I'm going to do is add some sort of clue to let the visitors know they need to scroll one way or another. I may use a left right arrows also, with some javascript to "slide" from anchor to anchor. I kind of like that idea. I'm trying to figure out how to pull thatoff though....

Thanks for the feedback!

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i like the idea of using anchor points, so it scrolls to exactly where you want it.

this doesn't use anchors, but it may help. I haven't looked at the code or anything, but it's probably worth checking out.
    http://www.jdstiles.com/java/scrolle...agescroll.html

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the link to the script. I'll already be using some sort of utility library (probably script.aculo.us or mootools) which will allow me to get it to slide to the propper div.

If I were to do this I was thinking about doing what Viget Labs did only they are using jquery to do this. Click any link to see what I'm talking about. The tab that says "Drag Me" originally had the same effect as their pull dowon does. (Click one of the numbered links, and then, click the link that says "See our positions"
    You can see this being done here: TeamViget

Right now i'm porting this over to a different PSD file that is 640px high. I screwed up and built the mockup too large for notebook computers. I think with some creative positioning of some of the background elements I can get the graphics to act "liquid" so that they will be spread out according to how much space is available vertically. I'm not so sure, but i'll cross that bridge when I get to it. heh.

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    the TeamViget site seems to be down, i'll try to check it out later

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You know, on second thought this might be too much for the web. Even with the tiling background it's too much. About 1MB in graphics, even worse if I try to use PNG's. I might save this for an offline-demo reel to leave behind with a resume.

I'm currently working on one that's vertical. Basically the same concept, only cleaner with the graphics, center-aligned, only this time the scene continues down "underground".

SitePoint Enthusiast trishacupra's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Glad you're going vertical. I've seen horizontal before, but never successfully. You have to assume most web users are stuck in their ways when it comes to something so standard as scrolling downwards.
    Trisha Cupra, Web Design Watchdog
    Protecting website owners from the most painful online mistakes

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah, I'm not that worried about it being that different, but only because this site was planned to be pitched at interactive & marketing agencies only. Sometimes they like free-spirited/edgy things so I figured something a bit out of the box would be okay even if it fails in the area of practicality or usability. The rest of my work is pretty standard stuff centered around usability and info-architecture.

I think what I'm going to do is scrap this project all-together and just going to give my current portfolio an "interfacelift." I'll keep this one going (maybe) and use what I have as an off-line site for CD distro only with links to my online site.

Cheers.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Perhaps you should put the preview on a more stable image host, such as tinypic.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

^^^

I'll have to check that out.

Link's dead b/c I moved a lot of stuff on my server b/c I'm going to be hosting a couple different sites on it.